Snoring

General discussions on health, disease, conditions etc
diz223

Snoring

Post by diz223 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:04 am

Hi - I wonder if anyone could put my mind at rest? We have just lost our girl Gracie at the age of 10 yrs to a very bad case of tooth abscess which had obviously gone on for a long time and we were not aware until the damage caused to the jaw was too far gone. It was a very distressing week last week, which has made me hyper sensitive to our pigs. I have noticed that her sister, Hope, has started to snore incredibly loudly whilst sleeping but also whilst eating. You can hear her as you go up the path to the stable. I have cleaned/checked her nose and cannot see any obvious signs of anything causing a blockage. Is this just an age thing (the boys snore too, but not like this!) or could there be something more sinister going on?

diz223

Re: Snoring

Post by diz223 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:27 am

Please...I hope there is someone who has older pigs and can offer any advise on Hope's heavy breathing/snoring whilst sleeping, eating. She is now doing it whilst walking around which makes me think it is a breathing issue. Do pigs get polyps? Any advise would be appreciated to pass onto the vet.

Update - we lost our beautiful girl Hope. Both girls in the space of three weeks, we are devastated. We/vet believe that Hope had a tumour. We had tried antibiotics, pain killers, anti flam. and steriods to no effect. She hadn't eaten for nearly two weeks, so the decision was taken to investigate with an endoscope. The vets who attended were very good but it proved too much for her.

We now have just our two (castrated) boys who are eleven years old. They don't appear to be very 'cuddly' with each other when sleeping and when awake seem to prefer to be each on their own. Was it just the girls that made everyone sleep in a huddle? Or is it something that the boys need to adjust to? Or are males more solitary? Comments?