Boar not showing interest in gilts yet.

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
CathB

Boar not showing interest in gilts yet.

Post by CathB » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:35 am

I'm new to breeding pigs and have a 10 month old boar not showing any interest in my gilts yet when they're in season.

Is this normal?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Cath

simon

Post by simon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:50 am

Try separating him, and only taking the sow to him when she is ready. Poor lad might simply be intimidated.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:40 pm

might sound like a daft question but have his testicles dropped yet?
they should be very obvious at this age if they have but they may not appear for anything up to 18 months

CathB

Post by CathB » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:53 am

His testicles have dropped and I?m reluctant to separate him as this would mean him being on his own - would this be ok?

When we got him last October he seemed ok at first, but didn't seem to grow, so we wormed him and gave him extra feeds away from the other pigs. He didn't improve and seemed to go further downhill so I called the vet out. He was weak on his back legs and had a temperature, but we decided against erysipelas given the longevity of his symptoms. Anyway, a course of Norocillin later and he was a different pig. This was in February.

Could this have set him back a bit?

simon

Post by simon » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:46 am

Cath
the sow we got from you turned out not to be in-pig. We separated them for a couple of weeks until she came in heat and then put them back together.
He was very keen and served her straight away.

CathB

Post by CathB » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:25 pm

Right, I'm going to separate them today. Fingers crossed it works.

Thanks Simon and Wendy for the advise, this forum is invaluable for first timers like me.

I'll let you know how he gets on.

Cath

CathB

Hooray!!

Post by CathB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:26 am

Just a quick update to help other first timers.

We separated the boar from the gilts and waited to reintroduce them when we thought the gilts were in season. We thought wrong, still no interest. What we should have done from the onset was wait for the gilts to tell us when they were in season!!

The best sign to look for this was definitely when the gilt stands still when you apply pressure to her lower back and top of her hind legs. My gilts would usually squeal when you try to push down on their lower backs (as if trying to get them to sit with force) and walk away. But last Wednesday when we had just about given up on our boar, we were giving one of our gilts a good old rub and fuss when we noticed her standing dead still when applying said pressure to her lower back, so we instantly decided to reintroduce her to the boar and hey presto, well need I say more.

We then put all the pigs back together again (1 boar & 2 gilts) and yesterday noticed the boar with the other gilt. Looks like he's now definitely found his feet and role in life.

Thank you for your initial advise and I hope this follow up helps any one else who experiences this problem in the future,

Cath