kunekune pigs in Spain / South of France?

drine

kunekune pigs in Spain / South of France?

Post by drine » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi all,
I became a member of the BKPS a few months ago, but just registered on this forum.
We (my husband is Dutch, I'm from Belgium) have been living in the north of Spain for a little over a year now, and we would like to get some kunekune pigs - to keep the grass short in between our trees and eat fallen fruit, mainly.
I recently visited a breeder in Belgium and loved what I saw there; I am inclined to buy our first piglets from him but as they are our first, I'd love some more advice (and maybe some alternatives). I am mainly concerned about the distance; it's about 1500km from his place to ours, and although we're used to travel that distance with our dogs, I assume piglets are something else entirely.
I've read in a very old topic here that there are plenty of kunekune keepers / breeders in France, but I can't seem to find any online. Does anybody know (of) anyone? Northwest of Italy and Southeast of Switzerland would be ok too (places we can drive to / from in 1 day).
I'm also wondering how people transport piglets? We have a dog crate, could fill it with straw, would that do?
Thank you for any feedback!

simon

Re: kunekune pigs in Spain / South of France?

Post by simon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:30 am

If you email the BKKPS secretary they should be able to put you in touch with members. There are some in france, and I think one in spain now.

Generally people transport very young piglets in dog crates. As they get bigger UK law says you need to transport them in a vehicle 'designed for the purpose'. You would need to check the regulations in your own country, and also those that you travelled through.

drine

Post by drine » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:11 am

Thank you Simon, I just sent her an e-mail - didn't think about that before!
Fingers crossed now...

Judith Jenkins

Post by Judith Jenkins » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Hi
I wondered if you had any joy with finding kunekunes in France? We have just moved to the Lot et Garonne and would like to have a couple on our smallholding - we had 3 in UK and are complete fans! However, I have searched the internet in vain for French ones. If anyone could help out, that would be great
Thanks
Judith

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:28 pm

Try posting on the BKKPS facebook page :D
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

drine

Post by drine » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:51 am

So sorry, I'm only seeing the replies now (didn't get a notification, will look into that).
I was in contact with the secretary about 8 months ago; she was able to find a fellow member in Fougerolles (F), but data confidentiality prevented her from sharing their info with me. I asked her if she could give them my e-mail address, but didn't hear back after that.
I wasn't aware BKKPS had a Facebook page, I've posted there. Thank you Rushbury Pig for the tip.

Judith, if you're ever able to find kunekune pigs, please let me know at info@masencanto.com - Lot & Garonne is not that far from us (we actually just drove through it on Monday on our way to see my family), so we could definitely work together!

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Hello there,

Sam Jones here (Chair and registrar and The Rushbury Pig :D )

We had a change of secretary a while ago so I am wondering if you didn't get a reply to your email regarding the breeder in France and your email address.

I will look up the member and send your email address to them - what email would you like me to use, the one in the above post.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.