Kunekune pregnant sow in desperate need of home

Megspigs

Kunekune pregnant sow in desperate need of home

Post by Megspigs » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:46 am

I have a 2 year old pregnant kunekune sow that i need to rehome as soon as possible! She has started to break out of her enclosure and is getting a little aggressive. I have a young child and can no longer keep my sow due to worrying that she may go for my daughter. Please if anyone can take her or knows of somewhere that can I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

HappyHippy

Re: Kunekune pregnant sow in desperate need of home

Post by HappyHippy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi Megspigs,
Firstly, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles! Aggression in kunekunes is not the norm and I wonder if there may be a reason behind this behaviour? I'm going to ask a few questions to try and get more of a picture...
Exactly how pregnant is your sow?
If she's close to farrowing (less than 6 weeks 'til due date) she could just be getting restless and I most definitely would NOT suggest you try to move her until after she gives birth. It'll put her under a fair bit of stress and she could potentially abort her litter, within the last 2 weeks it's actually illegal to move her on welfare grounds.

Does she have plenty of grazing within the area she has? Are there other pigs within sight or sound of her?
It might be a case of the grass being greener and since she's figured out how to get out she knows she can do it any time she likes......it may be that the only way to break this habit would be to line her pen with a strand of electric fence tape to provide more of a deterrent. If she's a lone pig she could be bored, lonely or depressed - this might also account for the change in her behaviour.

You don't say how old your daughter is but I'm guessing she's small enough that the pig doesn't perceive her as a superior? Children have a terrible habit of moving quickly (I know, I've got 4 :wink: ) and this can sometimes unsettle the pigs, especially when they are in the delicate state of pregnancy - they've got hormones flying around all over the place same as us human ladies! I'd keep your daughter away from her unless closely supervised and correct any unwanted behaviour from your sow by means of a sharp tap on the snout followed by a firm 'no' - it shouldn't take long for her to realise the behaviour isn't acceptable (though I'd avoid this is she is really close to farrowing - less than a fortnight. If she's that close you're just going to have to stop all contact between your daughter and your sow until after she farrows)

Lastly, you don't say where you are? If you can tell us this and also her pedigree details we can list her on our BKKPS Facebook page to try and help find her a new home providing it's safe for her to move.
HTH
Karen

Gez

Re: Kunekune pregnant sow in desperate need of home

Post by Gez » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Hi I have emailed you