Boar (or stud) wanted

ginger and blacks

Boar (or stud) wanted

Post by ginger and blacks » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi,
Can anyone help? We're looking for a boar (or possibly to hire a stud boar). We're in North Buckinghamshire and I can't find anyone close enough to fit in the 50km transport rules.
Many thanks

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Boar (or stud) wanted

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:49 am

You may want to cast your net further if you can......

The 50km rule is really aimed at people who are transporting for financial gain or, in other words, you are running a business. There is also an additional consideration, if you have no certificate of competence, and that is if you are transporting breeding stock such as a hire boar or new gilt/sow you can transport one pig if you have one passenger, two pigs if you transport two. In other words an additional person per pig so each pig has someone to look after them. I have read several articles on this and also contacted my local trading standards officer about all of this and he said this was correct BUT that all the other conditions of welfare needed to be met when transporting and that it was advisable that if you did frequent journeys or went to shows that you should take the certificate of competency.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

simon

Post by simon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:59 pm

Can you post a link to where this one person per pig rule is? Never heard of that before.

When I spoke to trading standards they told me that a certificate was required where the transport was part of "an economic activity" and that they generally interpreted that to mean anyone who was claiming single farm payment.

ginger and blacks

Post by ginger and blacks » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks Sam,
We are running a business but dont claim a single farm payment, so not sure where I stand there. I've not come across the passengers rule & it's not mentioned in the Defra live transport welfare regulations so thanks for the info.
Maybe I'll just have to find somewhere to get a certificate of competence.
In the meantime does anyone have a boar?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 pm

i have several boars and take sows in to stud. i am in herefordshire and have a certificate of competence. i transport sows.
the details are on my website - www.bartonhill.co.uk

cheers
Wendy

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:23 pm

I am pretty sure you don't need a certificate just for what you are suggesting but if you feel more comfortable then go for it! Check with your local Trading Standards, they will recommend places to take the certificate.

I didn't have one until I started showing and was transporting my pigs more regularly as part of my pig business. My Trading standards said I still didn't need it but I knew I could be checked at shows and felt vulnerable because I was moving pigs fairly frequently.

I am checking my source for the number of passengers for Simon....it was a while ago and I was directed to a website by someone and cannot track it down so have asked again, I'll report back on that :)

BKKPS Chairperson

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:00 pm

Here you go, I have copied and pasted it from the original source having got permission from Sue to publish it here:

Do You Really Need the Certificate of Competence to Transport Your Pigs?
Uploaded July 2010
The Welfare in Transport (VVlT) team, part of the government's Animal Health Department, is now centralised in Carlisle. Responsible for enforcing the current rules for transportation of animals throughout the UK, they have declared that the transportation legislation does not apply in any form whatsoever so long as there are no more than 4 animals being transported at one time, and so long as there are as many people in the vehicle as there are animals in the lorry or trailer.
That's right, total exemption.
They say 'lf you are transporting one animal one person (up to a total of 4) then you are exempt from the regulations therefore you don't require a type 1 or a type 2 certificate of competence, journey log or vehicle approval.'
However they have not promoted this exemption, which could be so important to producers of rare breed animals selling breeding stock to purchasers over 65km away: a single animal exemption was mentioned buried in the 53-page booklet of general guidance on the regulations but even that exemption was and is still omitted completely from current species specific booklets like Welfare of Animals during transport - Advice for transporters of pigs'.
The WIT team says 'The current version of the 'Welfare of Animals During Transport Main Guidance' document makes no mention of the 4 animal limit, however, we are working on a revised version which is likely to be published imminently at which time this document will be updated on the website .... The (other) publications that you refer to were produced by Defra and are outwith Animal HeaIth's ability to revise. However, l have passed your comments on to Animal Welfare team within Defra.'
The reason for the exemption has been declared as follows:
'The current welfare during transport rules (Council Regulation EC1/2005 and the Welfare of Animals l (Transport) (England) Order 2006) make no mention of exemptions for individual animals. However the ex- emption has been retained from previous legislation, by Defra, and with Ministerial agreement in order to meet the "Better Regulation" initiatives of this Government, which were intended, in part, to reduce the regulatory burden placed on private sector businesses.
Defra considered it appropriate to extend the definition of the single animal exemption up to a maximum of four animals (providing each animal was accompanied by a separate individual i.e. for the exemption to apply one person could not be responsible for more than one animal.) However, beyond this, the full weight of the Regulation should apply. '
Defra have advised that since this exemption stems from the UK Better Regulation initiative and is not referred to within the Community Regulation, other member States are not obliged to respect it. Therefore, l anyone intending to transport animals internationally should check the requirements for single animal transport with the competent authorities of any Member States that you journey through.
I l am sorry that the existing welfare during transport guidance is not as clear as it could have been on this point. However, l have consulted with a colleague who has been assisting Defra with its revision and he assures me that the single animal exemption is more clearly explained in the revised document, particularly with regard to the limit of 4 animals each accompanied by a separate individual. The revised document will, l of course, be publicised via the website.'

By Sue Fildes, pedigree Berkshire pig breeder, who investigated the rules after losing an order for 10 gilts to go to France due to interpretation of these regulations.

BKKPS Chairperson

ginger and blacks

Post by ginger and blacks » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks Sam,
That's really useful information.

chaseview

Post by chaseview » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Hello,
Not sure if you are still looking for a boar but we are trying to re-home ours. Elvis is a registered proven Andrew boar (BKKPS Herd book number 6407).
He is black and white, has 2 piris and stands about 14" at the shoulder. Very friendly and loves being tickled. He is 16 months old and free to a good home.

We are based in Staffordshire. Delivery options available (we have the transport licence)

Call 07941001067/01782 791382 to arrange a viewing

Thanks

Himleyku

Post by Himleyku » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:29 am

Hi, we are just outside Bicester, and have 3 Andrew boar weaners from my Kereopa sow which could be sold entire. 1 ginger, 2 ginger and black, all with 2 piris. only 2 1/2 months at the moment, but local, and you get the fun of watching them grow up. Contact is 07800 566167 if you were interested. Best wishes, Catharine.