Jemima the one eyed Kune!

windybankfarm

Jemima the one eyed Kune!

Post by windybankfarm » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:16 pm

I thought I would share with you a little story of my recent litter!
I found my sow in labour at 2pm in the afternoon. She had had one piglet who was at the other side of the farrowing pen and was minutes from dying (we lost her soon after dispite attempts to save her), my sow was clearly in distress and so I called the vet.
5 more perfect piglets were then born. We lost 2 more soon after due to the sow laying on them (yes we have bars) , we put it down to her really not being herself and she then developed a vaginal infection and had to be treated for that too!
If that was not enough bad luck, I then noticed one of the remaining 3 had her eyes shut- frantic calls to the vets later, I was told to use warm water and cotton wool to force them open, which I did only to find what looked like her eye hanging out!
That morning I removed her from the sow and drove her straight to the vets, it turns out that she had had an infection under her eye lid (probably down to a freak poke in the eye from a piece of straw?), this had then gone onto burst her eye!
I am sure you can imagine our distress.
However happily that day little Jemima pig had her eye removed in an operation at only a few days old. She is now being hand raised and is a real fighter (and very hard work through the night!)
Our remaining two are doing well and are now 3 weeks old.
All 3 are perfect, breed standard with 2 piris with the exception of Jemima's missing eye!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Would be lovely to hear your thoughts?
Does anyone else have a Kune with one eye?
michelle