Boar Piglets Te Whangi/Awakino lines

misslux

Boar Piglets Te Whangi/Awakino lines

Post by misslux » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:50 pm

I have two lovely Te Whangi/Awakino boar piglets. Black & White. Only 10 days old, but please let me know if you are interested as i will booking them in for castration soon. So if anyone wants one, let me know ASAP before they go to the vet!!

Also, what age do you castrate your boars? Vet advised me 2-3 weeks of age. Just wondered what everyone else does?

Thanks

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:00 pm

yes, i do mine at about 2 weeks, probably use the same vet as you :)

Di

Post by Di » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:16 am

About 3 weeks sometimes 4. Vet is happy with this. I had one done this year much older - about 6 weeks and no problem. Just cost a lot more because he was huge!
Di

misslux

Post by misslux » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for the reply. Have had another litter arrive this morning, 3 girls, 8 boys, so looks like i will have to have lots done. But if any one is interested in a entire boar (or any of them), let me know ASAP! same lines - Awakino/Te Whangi. This litter are B&W, G&B and some unusual plain gingers that have just a few splodges of black on their legs (plus piris!!).

repatexpat

Re: Castration relative to age and to weight

Post by repatexpat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:26 pm

This is my first litter so generally uncertain. When I phoned our local large animal vet to book castrations, he was reluctant to do the op at the recommended age of 2-3 weeks because he said it was harder if they are small (this may be because he was intending to do an open castration, which I now know is not the right choice).

Piglets will be 5 weeks old on Saturday and the smallest boar weighs 4.5-5kg (wriggly!). I was relieved to see on this thread a mention of castration at 6 weeks and 7 weeks on the "incidence of hernias" thread. I was astonished by the weight difference:
HappyHippy wrote: we had 2 boars going for closed castration at 7 weeks old with the vet... 22.3Kg and 17.8Kg (so neither of them particularly small).
Could my boars treble/quadruple in size in 2 weeks?
Is there a weight guidance to help decide the right time to castrate or is this moot if one is having a closed castration?
Gloucestershire

wendy scu

Re: Boar Piglets Te Whangi/Awakino lines

Post by wendy scu » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:47 pm

having bred kunes for 14 years i find it hard to believe anyone has ever had a 7 week old kune weighing 22 kgs or 17kgs! i would think your piglet weights are spot on

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Boar Piglets Te Whangi/Awakino lines

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:17 pm

There are vastly different weights for kunekune piglets and this continues through to adult life. Factors affecting the weight are size of litter, size of the parents, birth weight of piglet, illness, disease, mother's mothering ability/milk production just to name a few! I have learnt that what one person thinks is a large piglet may be tiny to another :) If we think about the vastly differing sizes of adult kunekune both in terms of height at the shoulder and body weight it doesn't seem so surprising.

My simple answer to you would be that if you can find their testes, they look healthy and they are at least 2 to 3 weeks of age then you should be fine.

Hope it goes well for you and the piglets :D
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.