micropigxkune kune wanted

lisa1

micropigxkune kune wanted

Post by lisa1 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:14 pm

I am looking for a piglet as a pet for my family. I am in the Manchester area if anyone has any or knows of anyone. Must be able to see the parents as i dont want to end up with a massive pig-Loving home awaits. Thanks, Lisa xx
LISA1

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi Lisa - beware of people who advertise 'miniature' pigs.
i have yet to see any pig that is smaller than a kune when full grown .i have two miniature pot bellies and even these are as big as kunekunes. all the adverts and pictures you see of minis are piglets, never a full grown one standing next to a person. i recently had a lady on one of my courses who had enquired about the pennywell pigs in Devon and the liturature she had stated 30" high which is actually bigger than most kunes.

lisa1

Post by lisa1 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Thanks for that Wendy- i have heard alot about breeders advertising the 'micropig' and then for it to grow quite large. I was advised to get a kunekune because they grow around 21 inch-is this true? i have an extra large back garden with alot of grass, infact it looks like a small woodland with alot of trees. We are planning to buy a pig ark when we eventually find a piglet but really hope it will live in the house for the majority.

Like i said before i dont want to end up with a massive pig, am i doing the right thing by looking for a kunekune? and would the living arrangements at my home be ok for a pig or would it be cruel to keep a pig here? do they need more space and would it be ok to house train a pig? any advice would be welcomed and sorry for all the questions.

Lisa xx
LISA1

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi Lisa,
it depends very much on what you call a 'large' garden,
kunes need enough space to provide them with grazing (not necessarily lush grass but ground cover or woodland etc) most of the year, so you need about quarter of an acre for one pig, although they are happier in pairs. their size when ful grown is 24 - 30 inches high, although my biggest one is 22 inches so i think that may be a larger estimate.

i run one day courses for people like yourself to come and see the pigs, find out how to keep them and generally to get the feel of whether it's for you or not, have a look at my website - www.bartonhill.co.uk
cheers
Wendy