Piglets for sale!!!! (Somerset)

thewoollyshepherd

Piglets for sale!!!! (Somerset)

Post by thewoollyshepherd » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:15 am

We have 7 piglets for sale, one gilt who is orange with black spots and 6 boars who will be castrated if for pets. They are .......3 black/white/gold, 1 orange with black spots, and 2 orange with an odd spot here or there!

One boar is out of Windrush Jenny IV who is a Jenny/Te Whangi sow

The other 6 are out of Windrush Jenny I who is a Jenny/Andrew sow

The sire is Windrush Andrew who is an Andrew/Awakino boar

They are nice piglets who will be registered (just joining the society) and will be sold at ?50 for pork raising or ?75 registered.
There are very smart long bodied pigs

I know not everyone eats KKs but we do and they make the best sausages ever. They fatten on very little food compared to other pigs and kill out at about 35-45kgs at 7 months. Ideal for a small family!

Pictured here at 2 weeks old
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207 ... igs003.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207 ... igs008.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p207 ... igs004.jpg

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:37 am

you are drastically undervaluing your pigs !

registered kunes sell for anything up to ?300

thewoollyshepherd

Post by thewoollyshepherd » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:44 am

Hi Wendy.............well I have had them advertised locally in all areas etc and sold none........until I rediuced the prices and have 2 booked! I know of several other people who have the same problem and I am the last to undercut other peoples prices but cannot be left with a load of unsold pigs!........perhaps its the effect of the current financial climate?
I shall be keeping 2 to raise for pork myself but don't have freezer space for 9!!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 am

if you get your litter notification in they will go onto the litters page of the website which is the first place people looking for kunekunes will go.

i have daily enquiries - 2 or 3

thewoollyshepherd

Post by thewoollyshepherd » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:17 am

Just posted it!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:06 pm

Great, that should get past onto me within a few days and i will get them up on the web page for you.

might i suggest that if you haven't got room in the freezer for them and you are having trouble selling them, maybe it would be better not to breed them?

this is surely better than flooding the market with cheap piglets?

thewoollyshepherd

Post by thewoollyshepherd » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:48 am

wendy scu wrote: might i suggest that if you haven't got room in the freezer for them and you are having trouble selling them, maybe it would be better not to breed them?

this is surely better than flooding the market with cheap piglets?
Well I disagree........! I am surely not flooding the market with cheap piglets, just putting them up for sale at an affordable price! No one is going to eat a KK they paid ?250 for when they can get a couple of nice Berkshire weaners at ?40 each! I obviously cannot eat 9 pigs but I WILL be eating 2 of them and whilst 2 gilts have been booked as future pets/possible breeding there are 5 more that will make good sausages, bacon and pork. So you see its not a case of having trouble selling them but having trouble selling them at an over inflated price :shock:

I know I am in a minority when it comes to eating them, but they really are the perfect pig for those on a budget or a small family to raise for their freezer and affordability is everything!

Perhaps if more were eaten there would be less being given away to 'good homes' when they outgrow their welcome as pets?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:43 pm

i would disagree that the price is over inflated, its the price that kunes have been commanding for the past 15 years.

one of the problems with selling them cheap is that people will buy them for 'eating' and then twelve months down the line they will breed from them, registered or not.

cilla

prices

Post by cilla » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:36 pm

Just an observation on the subject of price and demand.
I've been breeding kunes for the last few years & I am sure that the market is slowing down. For a couple of years I was reserving them before they were born and the phone was very busy but I now have 4 lovely piglets that are growing fast and the phone is quiet. I know I have lost sales to good homes in the last year because I've stuck with a high price but this is my last litter and I need to move them so I will be forced to sell them cheaper. Please send some of your customers this way, Wendy!

Di

Litters

Post by Di » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:31 pm

I do think the market is bound to slow down with the recession. I also believe that a lot depends on where in the country you live. Down here in the west country we are out on a bit of a limb and less populated and therefore selling is always more difficult. I have never been able to get ?300 for a gilt - ?150 has been my price. However, I am sure by next spring that will need to be reduced becaused of the recession and the fact there are more and more people breeding.

Boys have only ever made ?100 or ?125 castrated and I think I will be hard pushed to move these next year. I am therefore planning on turning the boys into sausages as I understand they make the best sausages!

Good luck to everyone trying to sell piglets. It will be interesting to hear how things go.

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:30 pm

I do send customers to anyone who has used my boars for stud.
i usually visit the litters if they are not too far away and then refer customers straight to them.

I have never charged more than ?170 for my piglets but i know someone not far from me who charges ?400.
i bought two gilts fairly recently myself and paid ?250 each for them. They were really nice and i thought they were worth it.

If the bottom drops out of the market i will just stop breeding them. I only breed a few litters a year at present and never have anything left over. I make a point of never selling anything from a show as i think this usually results in the 'one week wonder' problem.

Sarah Brown

unsold piglets

Post by Sarah Brown » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:40 pm

I am interested to read all the comments in this discussion. We had our first litter this September and I was told KK piglets were in high demand and I would not have trouble selling them as pets. However, we have had terrible trouble selling them - a lot of interest but few purchases. Admittedly, we did not expect such a large litter (12) (have sold 5) but it doesn't seem to be the price putting people off, I think there are just too many around. I cannot keep 7 piglets and really am not sure what to do with them - we will have to slaughter as a last resort. I would be very interested in any advice "the woolly shepherd" can give me. (we are used to slaughtering our jacob sheep so not totally new to the experience)

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:27 pm

where abouts are you Sarah, i have a man wanting two gilts and i have sold mine,

Sarah Brown

Post by Sarah Brown » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi Wendy, I am in north Wiltshire BUT my piglets are not registered if that makes a difference. I have two gilts left and 5 castrated boars.

I think the KK society should think seriously about having different levels of registration rather like cattle. There seem to be quite a few of us with pigs that cannot be registered because of one break in the chain. My sow has a registered mother and grandmother and her piglets had a registered father BUT because her father was not registered there is nothing we can do. KKs seem to be getting more and more popular and the BKKPS will have difficulty keeping track with so many not being able to register in any form. What do you think?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:50 pm

I think its advisable to only breed from registered pigs in order to combat the problem,

the difference between kunekunes and various breeds of cattle is that they have only been breeding for 15 years and there is a limited gene pool therefore it is important to know exactly how the pigs are bred before breeding from them

the problem of unregistered pigs is very much under discussion as any one who attended the AGM will know,
however, we have concluded from our discussions that at present there is no way of bringing unregistered pigs into the fold