Boris too big to get in should I keep him in garden or field now?

Jazz

Boris too big to get in should I keep him in garden or field now?

Post by Jazz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi all hope someone can help. I have had my kune know me since six weeks and he's now seven months and getting too big for the door we made him to get into the conservatory. He was the runt and tiny but now he's bigger than his brothers and sisters where we got him from. The door is big enough for my mastiff. At the moment he lives in the garden and conservatory with the dogs, and ducks in the garden too. He comes into the lounge with us and the dogs in the evening. The door is in a wall in the conservatory and it's not safe to make it any bigger.
Should I leave him in the garden with the ducks, the dogs go out there when they want to which means he'll be on his own with the ducks a lot. There is a shed I could put his bed in. Or should I get a piece of land and buy another pig to go with him?
I love him dearly and don't want him to think he's been kicked out when he can't get in the door anymore. There's not enough room in the garden for another kunekune. But if I put him in a field with another one will he miss the dogs and us, he does seem to love me and the little dog.
I want what ever is best for my Boris,

simon

Re: Boris too big to get in should I keep him in garden or field now?

Post by simon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 pm

The pig will continue to grow until it is about 3 years old. The fact that it was a runt at birth is no indication of its adult size - once it is removed from the litter and can get its full quota of food it will develop normally. At 7months I would not expect it to be as big as a full grown mastiff, so I wonder if the pig is getting fat?

Legally you need to make sure it is not coming into contact with and eating meat products - so you need to feed the dogs separately or you could be prosecuted.

He should have been castrated before you got him - please check that this was done and take him to a vet if you have any doubt.

A house is not a suitable place to keep a pig. If you can get a small field and a pig companion for him it would be the best thing.

Jazz

Re: Boris too big to get in should I keep him in garden or field now?

Post by Jazz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:49 pm

thank you for your response. He only eats his pig pellets, apples and carrots he doesn't like any other veg or fruit. I always keep them in different rooms when they eat so there's no worrys there and the man I .bought him off did explaine about the meat etc. I know you probably think I'm a stupid woman but I really do love Boris and he seems to love me he's always coming and asking for cuddles and tummy rubs. I have a walking license for him and he has short walks with me and the dogs which he loves. He cuddles up to my little dog who washes his ears for him.
You are right he is a bit fat but I'm on it. I have friends with fields and I could put him in in the spring if that's the right thing to do and a friend for him I was just worried he would pine for my little dog and my husband, me and the comforts he's got use to. I've read they are very sensative and I've seen it with Boris when he sulks.