kunekune keepers in Scotland ?

Announcements for Regional Meetings. Or ask if you are looking for people close by.
HappyHippy

kunekune keepers in Scotland ?

Post by HappyHippy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Hello everybody :D
Just introducing myself and saying Hello !
My name is Karen and I live just south of Glasgow, with my hubby, 4 kids, huge GSD, a wee flock of chickens and 15 pigs. (KK and 'eating' ones :wink: ) I moved back to the redundant family farm 5 years ago and am slowly putting my grand plans into action....................watch this space :D

Would be great to hear from ALL the kunekune keepers, wherever you are :wink:
Karen x

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Hello Karen, welsome to the message board and the BKKPS :D

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:19 am

Hello Karen,

We're way up in the frozen north, a handful of miles south of Cape Wrath. Our first Kunes are due to arrive today - 3 little boys.

If all goes well we'd like to add an occasional Tamworth to raise up for meat. The Kunes, of course, are for keeps.

We've also a small flock of hens who are totally bonkers but give us the most delicious free range eggs.

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:14 am

Hello :D
You'll love your boys - they've just got the best temprament of all pigs I've ever kept.
If you need help finding a couple of Tammy's up your way just pm me - I know the Tamworth society breed rep for Scotland, so she'll be able to point you in the right direction. Though they are the racehorse of the pig world and not what I'd call a 'starters' pig :wink:
You say the Kune's are 'of course' for keeps - I'll probably get shot down in flames here (apologies in advance) but the pork they produce is very tasty.......................just letting you know :oops:
If you've not seen it already, there's a great forum on the accidental smallholder website (it's a wee bit busier than this one) and tonnes of good advice there and a friendly welcome too.
Good luck with your piggies !
Karen x

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Thanks Karen, three piggies landed and getting used to their new home. They're very friendly and really cute. Photos elsewhere.

HE000923

New owner of kunekunes in Scotland

Post by HE000923 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi Karen
I have 2 kunekune gilts 10 months old, I live not far from Glasgow and would like to make contact with other owners within this area.

Di

Post by Di » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Sorry I don't live anywhere near Scotland but had to say that kunekunes do eat extremely well! Sausages, joints and chops have so far had the thumbs up from my family. Going to try bacon with the next ones.

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Oh Di - you'll have to keep me posted on the bacon (sorry Wendy !)
We've had a sample of some chops which were lovely, I think sausages would be good too *yum*
Just out of interest, what's your feeding regime for fatteners ? Also (sorry for all the questions lol!) what age do you slaughter, what weights do you get and what's the quantity of back fat like ? We're currently running 3 on for pork - they're 6 months now and still WAY too small (and cute) at the moment. I'm thinking 8-10 months sounds more like it - but it would be great to get your input :wink:
Thanks
Karen x

Ellie03

Re: kunekune keepers in Scotland ?

Post by Ellie03 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Hello-I am very new to keeping kunekune pigs -I have two boys who are now almost one year old.I got them from Karen-you might already have seen from posts from her.Just wanted to say that she has been absolutely wonderful and given me lots of good advice-just what you need as a novice!They live in about two acres of woodland and have a garden shed as their shelter!Hopefully they are happy little piggies-they have fitted into our family so well-thank you Karen!
Ps-hello from Paddy and Charlie!
From Eileen