late farrowing

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
pedro1

Re: late farrowing

Post by pedro1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:59 pm

i tried to email you wendy on the address you provided but a message came back saying that it failed so if you email me first i can just reply to your email and it should go through from pedro

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:56 pm

i tried to reply to your email but yet again it came back saying that it could not deliver the message to you wendy from pedro

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:14 pm

it has now sent and it is a word document rather than the pictures just attached to the email

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 am

Hi thanks for all the infomation you have given me but i have bad news she gave birth 4 days early and in temperatures of -11 last night with no heat lamps she gave birth to 11 piglets and so far 9 have died but there are still 2 allive and im hoping these ones pull through and become stronger pigs for it. wendy you were right she did give birth within a week but unforutnaly on the coldest night. i feel really bad but i hope that 2 can survive. i will keep you up to date with what is happening
from pedro

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:33 am

4 days early?????? i thought we were several weeks late

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:47 am

i thought that but if she did not get pregnant the first 2 times and if she got pregnant the 3rd time she would have been 4 days early

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Pedro,

Very sad to here this, I hope the other little ones keep going, do let us know how they get on. A big litter mind you, she must have been huge. We all have to go through things like this keeping pigs but hopefully we can all learn from this as will everyone else reading these posts. It would have really helped you if the breeder you had bought from had been able to give you dates that were anywhere near accurate but even then, they can produce 5 days before or after the 115 day average and that is normal.

I know it's of no help now but I always keep my heat lamps on in weather like this just in case they surprise you as they have a habit of sometimes farrowing when you least expect it. Whatever happens I always leave my lamps on 10 days before if they are looking closeish. You'll have a different experience next time as hopefully you'll know your dates and you'll be better prepared and know what you're looking for.

I really hope the two remaining piglets survive.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:39 pm

I know we had a discussion on wether to turn it on last night or this morning and she was not that close when we left her as there was no milk either and we decided that we would put the lamp on this morning but it was to late. She has milk now and Is feeding the 2 that are left so hopefully they will survive and although it was a big litter she has 12 teats so could have feed them. From pedro

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:27 pm

well the two you have should flourish having her all to themselves. just try to put it behind you and enjoy the two she has.

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:43 pm

yeh hopefully she will take great care of the two that are still alive. any tips on how to make sure that they are ok

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:25 pm

what shall i do so that my sow does not develop mastitis as she is only feeding 2 piglets there will be a lot of milk that will not be used so what can i do to it. also what shall i do to make sure that they are ok also who wants to see some photos and also when will i be able to tell if they have piri piri and is there a noticable scrotum in the boys as i cannot see any so does that mean that the 2 surviving piglets are girls from pedro

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:33 pm

she should not develop mastitis as the teats have not been used so the milk production in those should be minimal. the two surviving piglets will stimulate her to produce only what they need. However, keep an eye on her. if she is developing mastitis she will be unhappy, her temperature will go up, she will not allow the piglets to feed and her udder will be as hard as rock. in which case you will need a vet.

as long as the piglets are warm and their mum is feeding them you don't need to do anything. in a day or two, bring in a lump of turf or a tray of soil from outside so they can get their iron from it. it is so cold that they won't go out and they will need that within their first week. if you can't do that, you will need to give them iron injections - vet again.

if they have piri piris you should be able to see them now. they are quite obvious when they're there.
to sex them, when they are feeding and have their tails in the air little girls will have a tiny V shape under the tail. little boys are 'blank' . Boys pee from the cnetre of the tummy and girls pee out of the back. scrotums shouldn't be obvious unless they have a hernia!
YES PLEASE! lets have some photos! :)

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:17 pm

ok well hopefully she wont develop mastitis and also i gave the two piglets a squirt of piglet kick-starts i have only done it once but do you advise i will do it again as it is so cold and they are the only 2 to survive. also if as the ground is rock hard where else can they get iron from as i don't really want to get the vet out to inject them unless it is absolutely necessary as they are quite expensive where i am. i don't see any piri piri so i am presuming that they dont have them. i will see in the morning whether they are girls or boys and if they are i will have to get them castrated as they are going to live on a friends farm with no girls and they will fight if the are not castrated correct? i will also send you a photo now wendy from pedro

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Pedro,

Glad to hear they are still alive and doing well.

You don't need to give them kick start again, their mum will give them all she needs especially as she has had all that colostrum to feed to them. They should thrive.

The only extra bit of advice I can add to Wendy's is to take care not to feed the sow too much hard feed as this can contribute to mastitis only give her half her usual ration for a couple of days and then very slowly increase to her normal ration. Alternatively just give her plenty of fresh greens and fruit and cut right back on the hard feed for a couple of days. But as Wendy said, she shouldn't get it as she will adjust her milk production accordingly.

As Wendy said, dig up some grass turfs or soil and put it in with the sow and piglets they will get all the iron they need from this....no need to get a vet to inject. I have Berkshires and Middle Whites as well and have never had to inject iron because I do this. I use a pick axe in this weather or go grubbing around for more accessible soil.....Mole hills are good!!! :lol:

You will need to get them castrated if they are boars, your vet will do this under anaesthetic at the surgery at around 2 weeks of age. You can simply take them in a cat or dog crate in the back of the car. Prices for this range from £15 to £25 per piglet. Don't leave it later than this with yours as they are likely to start getting quite big and be harder to manage.

Let us know whether they are boys or girls and perhaps Wendy can post your photos so we can all see them??
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:45 pm

ok thank you for the advice i will be finding some soil to put in with them and i have not been able to get hold off them yet to see if they are boys or girls and if you give me your email i will email the pictures to you. i will also make sure i dont give her to much nuts and give her lots of fruit and vegatable from pedro