erispeilis injections

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
pedro1

erispeilis injections

Post by pedro1 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:59 am

hi i have a sow that is going to farrow on christmas day and i was wondering if and when i need to give her or her piglets this erispeilis injections and also i have a wormer called noromectin and i was wondering if it covered the erispeilis in it and also is this erispeilis injection prescription only or can i get it online thanks for your help from pedro

HappyHippy

Re: erispeilis injections

Post by HappyHippy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Hi Pedro,
Erysepilas is nothing to do with worming.
Your noromectin is for worming and covers internal & external parasites. I'd worm the sow around 4 weeks before farrowing, and the piglets around 8 weeks or at weaning (but you'll need a seperate bottle as it won't keep for 3 months once you've opened it)
The vaccine I use for Ery is called PorcillisEry, if your sow hasn't been vaccinated before you'll need to give her 2 doses, 4 weeks apart - then a booster every 6 months. I vaccinate young stock at around 6 and 10 weeks (got to keep the 4 weeks between them, and yup, you've guessed it - 2 seperate bottles needed as it doesn't store :wink: ) this version of the vaccine isn't prescription - but there is one which has parvo vaccine in it too, it is a prescription only medicine.
HTH
Karen

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Thank you for that advice and also where do you get your Erysepilas injections from and also how much does it cost from pedro

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:31 pm

I either buy from Holmfield Farm services in York or vet meds direct (website) it's around £17 per bottle.
HTH
Karen

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Hi there,

Agree with all above but need to add a word of caution when buying this vaccine mail order. It is a live vaccine and should be stored in the fridge to keep it live. I had to re-vaccinate all my pigs having bought from Holmefield services(who are great I might add!) as it took two days to reach me. My vet drew my attention to the instruction leaflet that comes with the vaccine which indicated that it would have been significantly affected by the temperatures it had been exposed to during its journey. :(

Having said all that, if you buy it at the moment it's like a fridge out there anyway!! :)

My vet supplies this at the same cost as I can buy it online so perhaps better to ask your vet first?

Cheerio for now, Sam
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Di

Post by Di » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:04 am

Now this is very interesting. I have been told by my vet (known him for 50 year) and another younger vet that Porcillus Ery is NOT a live vaccine and although the instructions say use within 10 hours, if kept in the fridge it is OK until you have used the bottle. They further stated that they certainly do not start a new bottle every time.

I have queried this several times over several years and always got the same answer!

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:30 am

Me too Di! That's what I have always been told. :?:
I seal mine in a sandwich bag at the bottom of the fridge, and use until expiry date.
Our vet said they would have to order it in, and wanted £40 a bottle, must think I'm as daft as I look :x
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

Di

Post by Di » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:32 pm

I got mine from the vet and cost me about £15!! They are proper farm vets though.

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:05 pm

Vetmeds direct do send the vaccine packed with loads of those little gell filled chill packs - I always get it the day after ordering (though possibly because they're in Scotland too :wink: ) so I've never had a problem that way.

I know there is/has been lots of discussion on whether you can store the vaccine and everyone's going to have their own ideas & experiences.
But the official word from the manufacturers is No, the immunogenicity (ability of the vaccine to elicit an immune response) of the vaccine will decrease with storage.
So for me, it's a new bottle every time - I'd rather pay the extra than risk not having an immune herd.
Karen x

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:39 pm

OOh, didn't realise I'd start this discussion off!

Isn't it often the case that this happens.....we all get conflicting information from our vets?! :?

The vet that gave me this advice was the BPA vet, Bob Stevenson, he said many problems with infection arise in a herd because vaccines and other medication have been stored incorrectly and are useless or reduced in effect. He then gave me a ticking off for not reading and adhering to the manufacturers guidance! :oops:

When vaccinated again, a few of them had a temperature so I knew it had worked. I phoned the manufacturer to check this was all okay and to check storage and they confirmed what Bob had said.

You really should only have to pay around £17 a bottle any more is too much! Although there are different number of dosage bottles - one around 10 doses and another around 25 doses I think.

I hope this helps and if not at least adds to the discussion! :)
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

SarahN

Post by SarahN » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:37 pm

I got my last bottle of Porcilis ery about a month ago and it cost me around £10 for 25 doses. My vet said I could store it in the fridge and it was fine to use the same bottle as long as I used a fresh needle and syringe each time otherwise it could become contaminated. I have only kept bottles long enough to do the second dose in 4 weeks.

Di

Post by Di » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Well!!! What do you make of all this? It seems that some vets seem to be singing from the same hymn sheet. I do wonder if the manufacturer's just may be trying to sell their vaccine?

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:59 am

Di wrote:I do wonder if the manufacturer's just may be trying to sell their vaccine?

Ahh, the penny drops :wink: that's exactly what I think ~ all pharmaceutical manufacturers cover their backsides beyond the necessary methinks!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Well I have just rang Holmefield farm services to see how much they charge for it. It is £11 plus delivery which is worked out on weight and this is for 25 doses. Also I agree they try to sell you stuff you dont need and also they did not put a sprayer in for my iodine so they would send it anyway long story short rang up as it had by arrived after a week and they said they would send another one and then still had not come so rang them up and they said they did not have my address so they were just putting my name on the parcel. Anyway a bit off track but what they said is that once you have opened it you have to use it in 10 hours but I think they are trying to sell me more than I need again from pedro