Advice re breeding boar?

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
stoke blossom

Advice re breeding boar?

Post by stoke blossom » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:35 am

I am thinking about getting a intact boar and want to seek some advice before doing so?

Questions
In the first instance could I keep the boar with my 2 sows until such time as they are looking to farrow?
Could I keep the boar and sows in adjacent areas with a 3 rail and post fence to seperate?
Do I assume they eat at the same level as the sows / same food (I know this is a stupid question)?
Also what else do I need to consider re keeping?

Many thanks Dave

simon

Re: Advice re breeding boar?

Post by simon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:41 pm

stoke blossom wrote: could I keep the boar with my 2 sows until such time as they are looking to farrow?
A few weeks before you need to make sure the sow gets more food, so thats a good time to separate them.
stoke blossom wrote: Could I keep the boar and sows in adjacent areas?
Yes.
stoke blossom wrote: Do I assume they eat at the same level as the sows?
Yes, but the boar will tend to dominate and get most of the food unless you spread them out a bit

simon

Post by simon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:46 pm

The main other things to think about are:
- whats your plan for the piglets.
- can all your family cope with a boar, if you have kids will they be safe.
- can you cope with handling, de-tusking.
- whats your breeding strategy, are you planning to keep your own piglets.

stoke blossom

Post by stoke blossom » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:33 am

Many thanks Simon for your response.

It has given me some things to consider.

The main point being the handling etc. I just assumed that they would be handled in a similiar way to my sows but from your response you seem to be saying that I may be under estimating that.

Di

Post by Di » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 am

I keep a boar who is the softest pig on earth. However I am always aware that he is a boar and keep an eye on him when in his paddock. He has never yet shown any signs of aggression, but of course you must be aware that this can happen at any time.

Archie lives happily with his wives until I separate for farrowing as Simon described and this works well.

However, again as suggested by Simon you need to think ahead as to what you will do with the piglets. Are you prepared to raise them for meat if you don't sell the piglets? Do you have people who will buy your sausages? Do you have several large freezers?!

Seeing piglets born is wonderful and never ceases to bring me joy but you do need to think ahead and have a sensible, responsible attitude and plan as to what happens if you can't sell them.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

stoke blossom

Post by stoke blossom » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks Di really good info

Yes I had considered the future re any litters and in fact have 7 piglets remaining at the moment (2 have gone to a fantastic home).

I am considering taking the castrated boars (4) I have onto meat in the event they do not find a home.

Reason for asking the question re a boar is at this stage to consider my options.

I am starting to think best to take to a boar as I have done before.