new pig

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
pedro1

new pig

Post by pedro1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:41 pm

i have just added a new pregnant pig to my 2 older sows and a boar. i was wondering if it was normal for the pigs to chase the new pig around the field and snap at her ( they never bit her) also will this have any affects on her piglets from tom

truella

Re: new pig

Post by truella » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:04 pm

They are just sorting out who's in charge. I would be tempted to leave them too it & not to worry too much unless it started getting nasty, ie, really fighting, causing obvious injury THEN I would be worried for the new in pig sow. Just make sure she has somewhere warm & dry to shelter until they accept her.
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:09 pm

How long will it take for them to accept her as she saw them through a fence for 24 hours from midday Monday to midday Tuesday and then I introduced them on Tuesday mid-day and then the 2 sows chased her and the boar did not really bother with her but I went and saw them tonight and she was on her own in the top field and the other 3 were in the bottom field from pedro1

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:01 pm

If it was me I would definately keep her ALONE with her own suitable sleeping quarters, in an adjoining field until she has farrowed and weaned her piglets at about 8 weeks old.
She could possibly abort with the stress of moving home and this, plus she needs feeding up and will have to be seperated a week or two before giving birth anyway, so you will still have re-introduction squabbles then, but no pregnancy at risk.
Good luck.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

HappyHippy

Post by HappyHippy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:22 pm

Just to add to what Pandora has said, it's good practice to keep all new stock in isolation for a while before introducing them to your herd (ideally 21 days) this is important to ensure new pigs aren't carrying any diseases that could be passed on to your other pigs.
Too late this time round obviously, but worth remembering for next time.
Karen