moving a pregnant pig

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
pedro1

moving a pregnant pig

Post by pedro1 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:10 pm

i am trying to buy a sow that is in pig i was suppose to get her over a month ago but after lots of complications i have still not got her she is now 63 days pregnant and the person selling her to me is worried about moving her because she is so far gone but i don't believe that she is that far gone because she is only just over half way through her pregnancy. i was wondering 1. if it is safe to move her and 2. how long gone would she have to be before she cannot come to me from pedro1

The Rushbury Pig

Re: moving a pregnant pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi there,

The pregnancy lasts, on average 115 days, so the sow/gilt you mention is about half way through and should be absolutely fine to travel. She would be better moved as soon as possible as she will be more comfortable and will travel better. Obviously take care when driving, provide her with plenty of water before setting off and ensure that the trailer you use does not give her too much room to move about and has plenty of straw. I've travelled in pig gilts/sows several times and they have all been absolutely fine although I do do it over relatively short distances. As far as Defra are concerned they state that it is only illegal to transport a heavily pregnant female where more than 90 per cent of the expected gestation period has passed. Hope this helps?!
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

The Rushbury Pig

Re: moving a pregnant pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:44 pm

I should add that the danger time for moving an in pig sow/gilt is actually the first 3 weeks as this is when the embryos are implanting and it is the most common time for them to abort. More obviously, the last 2 to 3 weeks are clearly not a good time to travel as well as being illegal!!
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.