Weaning

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
stoke blossom

Weaning

Post by stoke blossom » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:51 am

I understand that weaning should take place at 8 weeks. However we have had 2 litters 2 weeks apart. The first litter produced only 1 surving piglet. I was thinking of weaning the 2nd litter at 8 weeks and the other piglet at 10 weeks and then putting the piglets all together?

Also i understand mums / piglets need to be kept apart for 2 weeks. After that period can they then be put back all together? My only concern will be feeding as my 2 girls (mums) do like their food and may bully the smaller piglets.

Pandora

Re: Weaning

Post by Pandora » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Run a bar or two or electric rope across one corner of your paddock, high enough so piglets can run under, but mums won't cross. Then you scatter piglets feed in that corner, with mums feed the other side of the barrier.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

stoke blossom

Post by stoke blossom » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Thanks for advice. Strange how simple responses are so sound.

Re my one boy being weaned at 10 weeks to align with the other litter . still would appreciate views

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 pm

If his mum will put up with him for 10 weeks, you could try.
I'd be inclined to let the lot run together. I have three litters ~ 4 wks, 7 wks, & 18 wks, who all fit under the electric rope which seperates mums, and all play together like a mob of hooligans :lol:
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:29 pm

i would think if she only has the one, it is hardly worth bothering to wean him at all - she will gradually dry up and will ean him naturally herself by about 14-16 weeks.

i feed all mine together and just spread it out well. the piglets will get less but then that's what you want. the sows will eat the majority and piglets will be quick enough to get out of the way.

having said that - a creep as pandora suggests, is fine if you can set it up :)

repatexpat

Natural Weaning

Post by repatexpat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:57 pm

New to kunekunes...
After having GOS fatteners for the past three years, we've identified (with masses of help from Sam Jones -THANKS!) a 2 y.o. registered KK sow with her first litter of 3 piglets to get us started.

Piglets are KK (each has two piri-piri) but, as they are not registered, we intend to fatten them for next spring. While keen on continued breeding, we'd rather not have our first experience in the winter. Current thought is to take the sow to a boar mid-winter for spring/summer farrowing. Need to figure out what to do in the meantime.

Part of the KK appeal is to help keep the grass down (in rotation with our tiny flock of Shetlands) using an ark (to be bought) and existing electric fencing. Although we could remove the sow at weaning to one of our two static pig shelters, neither of these are paired with the best grass and, in any case, we don't have a companion pig for the sow. As there are only three piglets and they are all female, might it be okay to keep them with mum and allow them to wean naturally, as suggested here:
wendy scu wrote:i would think if she only has the one, it is hardly worth bothering to wean him at all - she will gradually dry up and will wean him naturally herself by about 14-16 weeks.
The following comment in the "Infertility, Sterility" thread struck me as relevant:
wendy scu wrote:If you really want to leave your sow for a 'rest' period it is best to leave her suckling a couple of piglets as this will keep her in healthy breeding condition.
Would appreciate feedback re: natural weaning (ours would be mid-Aug to early Sep) and of resting the sow for another 4-5 months before being taken to a boar.

Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions!
Gloucestershire