People "Giving away Piglets"

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
Stanfield

People "Giving away Piglets"

Post by Stanfield » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 am

Hello all,

I am a little concerned about the amount of people "giving away" pigs and piglets for free on preloved.

I understand that older pigs may need to be rehomed for various reasons but some are being given away at only 8 weeks old.

I feel that by giving them away for free takes away the importance of owning the pig, people may just see them as a freebie and think "Why not", whereas if they were even ?50 then people might think about it more responsibly.

I think I would rather eat my boys rather than give them a life of being passed on and on to new homes.

I would like to hear your views on free pigs, if you have given them away (not sensible rehoming, I understand the need sometimes) or have any views on it. Also why we are in this situation of not being able to sell pigs, asre too many being produced? Is it the time of year? They economy? Or is the pet pig trade slowing down?

Thanks ... :D

windybankfarm

Post by windybankfarm » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:20 am

I agree with you completely with the giving away of pigs!

With regards to the difficulties of selling piglets:

I think in general people are trying to cut down on expense and also there is in my opinion way too many people now breeding and also way too many people breeding un registered and therefore much cheaper stock :(
michelle

DA000610

Post by DA000610 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:30 am

I have to ask - with the price of feed going up and the vet expenses- how can people breed and sell piglets so cheaply? I am finding it increasingly difficult to get the correct price for our piggies - a lot of interest but no-one comes back after asking the price. In the past I have had no problem selling all my piglets before they have left mom for what they are worth but with this latest litter I have to wonder what price people are now charging and what sort of homes these under priced piggies are going to.

Stanfield

Post by Stanfield » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:36 am

I often wonder if people actually calculate the costs before selling the piglets for a lower price?
To castrate my boys it costs just over 40 each, then petrol costs on top, feed and general care bedding, iodine, wormer etc there isnt much left after that at a good asking price!

I sold my first litter easliy but this second litter which has 6 boys in it is proving much more difficult. Especially to find suitable homes.

Di

Post by Di » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:15 pm

I have been breeding now for about 6 years and have found lately that it much more difficult to sell pigs. As you say, people phone up, ask the price and then you don't hear from them again. I will not give them away as I agree this encourages irresponsible people to take pigs.

I admit that I have been turning them into meat as I feel that is much more sensible. I am also not breeding as much as I also feel the market is getting flooded. The economy has a great part to play in things too. People in general are thinking twice about what they spend their money on.

I have always felt that selling depended on the are in the country in which you live. Here in the west country we are slightly 'out on a limb'.

Maybe the pet market has had its day? Maybe we should all look at the meat market - they are an ideal smallholders pig after all.

Di

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:59 pm

But who will pay £100 plus (the correct price, in MY opinion, depending on pet / breeding / show quality) for a meat weaner / store pig?
The abbatoir and butchery fees renders that a bit prohibitive... as I've said before ~ Harrods sausages!
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:32 pm

Totally agree about giving piglets away not being necessarily a good thing, and might encourage the less-dedicated.

We don't breed from our pigs but in the past we have had several litters of kittens, and I've always made a token charge (~?20) for each one which then went to the local cats rescue people.

Carol

Post by Carol » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi Pandora,
The idea isn't to sell the piglets as weaners, its to send them to the abatoir youself. I sell sausages and if i sold all of the meat i would make about 70 ponds per pig over and above the cost of the abatoir. If you factor in the cost of feed it is probably no profit at all, but it is better than giving them away for free.