Pigoil

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
BurrWood

Pigoil

Post by BurrWood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi - I have recently brought home an adorable black male Kune (castrated) from the RSPCA, and he has terrible cracking/flakiness to his skin. I have purchased some pigoil to massage into him, but I am unsure of how much I need, whether it needs to soak in preperly before he goes out into the the sun (not sure if it would give him sunburn) and whether it is best to apply it with my hands, or a sponge etc??? Aslo, how often am I supposed to apply it?
Thanks Claire

BurrWood

Post by BurrWood » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 pm

oops sorry - meant to post this under health - perhaps a moderator could move it - so sorry!!! :roll:

truella

Post by truella » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:59 pm

I just use a brush to put pig oil on my kunes, it helps get rid of the dead skin too. I haven't had a problem with my kunes getting sunburnt with it (yet) but they all have regular access to a really muddy wallow. I would NOT go anywhere near any of my white pigs with oil. I don't use the oil very often though, only if their skin is really flakey.
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:56 am

i only use it for showing so not very regularly but i put it into a mister and spray it on

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:39 pm

I would get a good firm brush and give him a very good brush before adding any oil. Then I get the oil pour it into my hands and massage it into the pigs skin (you get nice soft hands too!) how much really depends on how dry his skin is. After I have applied it I then give them a good brush again afterwards. I wouldnt apply it if it is a very hot day as I imagine it might burn him.

BurrWood

Post by BurrWood » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:14 pm

Thanks everyone - he is now one well oiled piggie!! I used a brush and then massaged it in with my hands, and he seemed rather chuffed (and yes, fantastic for softening hands!!)