Insurance??????

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
Stanfield

Insurance??????

Post by Stanfield » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:32 am

Hello,

A question to those of you who breed.
We have an up coming smallholding where we keep our kune pigs and ducks. We are planning to sell the off spring and also vegetables and produce from the ducks and maybe some additional meat animals.

I was wondering what you breeders have organised re insurance for selling your piglets (if any!) I have been advise to get some incase someone comes back to me and claims "my" pigs have mauled their child for example, or "my" pigs have broken out of their paddock and destoyed the neighbours garden!!

Just thinking of worst case here!!!

So, I am interested to hear what everyone has organised and the prices that the companies are quoting. Also if anyone has vet insurance for their pigs?

Thanks

simon

Post by simon » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:03 pm

If you have sold a pig that then hurts someone - It isn't your pig any more, so it would be the responsibility of the new owner.

We have public liability insurance to cover us for anyone who injures themselves in any way whilst on our land. It comes as a bundle with the house/farm insurance, but I don't think is expensive if bought separately.

I've never looked into vet insurance, I imagine it wouldn't be worthwhile.

Stanfield

Post by Stanfield » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks. This was my business adviser who mentioned the insurance for actually selling the pigs (although he doesnt know anything about pigs, just general business advice). So, once you have sold a piglet, if something goes wrong with it once in the new owners hands - there is no come back on the breeder?

simon

Post by simon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:23 am

Stanfield wrote:if something goes wrong with it once in the new owners hands - there is no come back on the breeder?
I'd certainly hope that you would help any new pig owner as much as you can.

But if it were to cause harm under someone elses ownership it would be their responsibility. I would have thought the new owner would only have a claim if you had somehow mis-represented, defrauded etc. [I'm no lawyer)]

Stanfield

Post by Stanfield » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:20 am

Oh, I dont mean it like that! Sorry :oops:
I just ment, say for instance the owners pig escaped and trampled all over the neighbours prize winning flowers, or if their pig bit a child, there would be no legal fall back on me as a breeder. Of course I will offer support and help to rehome pigs if needs be etc but I am just making sure myslef and my family are covered legally.

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:29 pm

As Simon has said there is no need to worry about anything once you have sold the piglet then it is upto the new owner to ensure that they follow the advice you have given them re housing, health and welfare etc if they fail to do this and their pigs get out and cause damage them it is their responsibility not yours.