Winter feeding

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
spc

Winter feeding

Post by spc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:35 pm

My two KK boars are 7 months and having there first winter which they to be coping with. They get fed in the morning and evening but during the day they seem to walking around moaning as there is no grass to graze.

Is there anything I can do to make the day more interesting for them; I think we have made a rod for our own backs as everytime we go into the garden then come runing to the gate expecting food that we always give them.

Any suggestion for toys/games and changing ther feeding demands gratefully rec'd..

Steve :roll:

simon

Post by simon » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Stop giving them snacks.
A hay rack so they can munch all day. They will still need some extra feed, but be careful they don't get too fat if they have lots of hay.

If you have any farmer friends who might have bales of haylage, hay or straw that have got damaged with water etc will give them hours of fun rooting through.

Di

Post by Di » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:17 pm

They will always shout for food, especially if they then get some!

A neighbour has been helping me during the recent bad weather and this morning I heard an awful noise from Archie our boar (or it might have been Minnie or Rosie or Babe!). All because he was walking his dog around the field and they had spotted him. Needless to say they still had to wait for breakfast and as soon as he was out of sight they shut up!

I find my pigs are sleeping quite a bit and then just mooching about.

windybankfarm

Post by windybankfarm » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm

My guys are well trained to morning and evening feed times, so if I walk up the field at these times they do make noise, any other time I don't give in and feed as I know I will be making a rod for my own back!
I have managed to winter mine out so far luckily and I agree that mine too are sleeping lots and wondering around just some of the time!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
michelle

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm

We've only had our pigs a few days but already I've noticed they do seem to enjoy their daytime naps.

Of course if they hear one of us moving around then they'll be out of their ark in a trice, and nuzzling for a treat.