hair loss in my kune....anyone know anything please?

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
gabby

hair loss in my kune....anyone know anything please?

Post by gabby » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Hello
I am new to this site ( new to kunekunes as a petas well). We have 2 sisters here living together, one is mine, one is my friends. We got them last december 2009.

Ihave rear a couple of books on kunekune's & have learnt a lot so far, but am such there is soooo much more to learn yet.

They are both 8 months old now & Precilla (my pig) is lossing her hair rapidly. You can pick it straight out of her without any tugging at all - other pig - Pollyanna - is fine.

Am planning on ringing vet tomorrow for any advice they can give, but thought I'd try on here too.

Any feedback will be great-fully received. :)

Gabby
Pets help make a house a home

simon

Post by simon » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:07 pm

Hair loss is quite normal. It happens from time to time, and it will grow back.

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:44 am

Hi Gabby, dont worry about the hair loss its not unusual,nothing you have done wrong.You can help the hair grow back by brushing pig oil on your girls,also a good wet muddy wallow will condition their coat.

claire86

Post by claire86 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 am

Hair loss in any animal can be due to traumatic or non traumatic causes. Traumatic causes include any cases causing scratching. Non-traumatic causes may include follicular infections such as parasites or bacteria or other more obscure diseases including endocrine or genetic reasons but these are extremely rare in pigs. As my lecturers always used to say - common things are common! And the most common reason for hair loss in pigs is because they're pigs and it's normal, especially in summer.
As long as she's not scratching and you haven't noticed any other signs of her being 'not right', then just look after the now exposed skin - remember sunscreen and/or mud!