poorly piglet

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
coleenandwannekunekune

poorly piglet

Post by coleenandwannekunekune » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:23 pm

my piglets were born yesterday 27/11/09 one little runt keeps going round in circles. he is eating well he can walk straight if he is leaning on either another piglet or mum any suggestions? also is there any thing i can give him to supplement him ie baby milk power?

Carol

Post by Carol » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:17 pm

My sow had just 2 piglets in September and one of them was half the size of the other. She kept going round in circles. She only seemed to do it if she got excited or agitated. If I saw here going in circles I encouraged her to walk straight. She seemed to grow out of by the time she was a couple of weeks old. As for supplementing your piglets food, if it has a full tummy and is drinking from mum then I would leave well alone. The only other thing to think about is iron, some people inject and others put a sod of earth in with the piglets.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:30 pm

circles is oxygen starvation and usually rights itself by weaning, although it can reoccur as carol said under any stressful or excitable conditions.
i agree with carol - if its drinking, leave well alone

coleenandwannekunekune

Post by coleenandwannekunekune » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:11 pm

will it be ok to give them at 4/5 days old as my vets is shut till monday now? also how do i inject it? he is eating really well thank you so much for your advise you have made me feel so much better now

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:13 am

yes, i would still give it but in the meantime give them that sod of earth,