Exact gestation

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
Pandora

Exact gestation

Post by Pandora » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Okay, this is our first, long awaited go at breeding our Kunes........
Please could anyone tell me if the "3 months, 3 weeks, & 3 days" pregnancy period, is 3 x 28 days for the '3 months' bit?
I have seen my 7 month old boar cover one of our gilts yesterday, and would like to be as sure as I can be on the arrival date... if he was successful!
Has anyone else had progeny sired by a boar this young, or is he just practising :wink: I assume she'll be hogging again in 3 weeks time if she is not pregnant?
Also, the gilt in question, has been quite visibly 'bloody' around the vulva for a few days ~ is this any indication of infection, or normal? Taking into account a womans oestrus, I'm assuming it is to be expected, but just checking :oops:
Thanks all... I think that's about four questions, sorry! :?
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:42 pm

if youre doing 3 moonths 3 weeks and 3 days go from 23rd april to 23rd july then count on. or alternatively 16 weeks and 5 days (117days).
they are usually about on time. yes, she will be hogging again in 3 weeks if it didn't work

I have a litter due sired by a boar who is not one yet so he would have been less than 6 months when he sired them. he only managed because they were on very sloping ground and she was on the downhill but it seems to have worked!

it isn't usual for a pig to lose blood when she's hogging. they usually show a clear discharge but no blood. was the blood after mating or before?
if its post mating then it may be that she bled a little if it was her first time. watch that it doesn't become an infection.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks Wendy.

I noticed the bleeding before I noticed any matings ~ but perhaps I missed it and it is as you say, as the girls are 2 in June, and I have never seen bleeding before. I was surprised his little legs were up to the job yet :shock:

I will keep an eye on Annie, and sounds funny (smelling a pigs girlie bits... can you just picture it if anyone catches me!!) but with my other animals, I am always guided by anything that smells nasty indicating infection. Methinks I will use some tissue for a sample whiff :lol:

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:10 pm

yes, smells are usually reliable but if she's got an infection she will probably be pretty sorry for herself too, :(

AmandaR

Post by AmandaR » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 am

We have a 5 month old accidental entire who has a date with destiny in a few weeks. He is kept in with the big boy and his castrated companion till his time comes to avoid unwanted complications. Over the weekend when there was an 18 month old gilt on her first date in the next paddock this randy teenager was bouncing up and down like a good 'un. So yes, little boys know what they're there for. As for farrowing, my limited experience says, do the maths, add your birthday, divide by 17 and then pick the most inconvenient time for them to do it! They know when you're busy so do it when you're not looking , but it is great and, if you catch them at it, everything else can hang out to dry while you're playing midwife & destroying your best towels. Good luck & enjoy.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:27 am

had a close call this week - very glad i was there -
my little first timer had a labour from 9pm till 7am (an easy one to miss but we're on cctv) and eventually was prolapsing due to 3 piglets all being trapped together. I managed to sort it and fortnately it replaced itself but that would definitely have been one not to miss - she wasn't going to get them out without some intervention.
only 3 in total but amazingly gorgeous as always! :D

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:31 am

Well I've hobby bred pedigree kittens & puppies for nearly 30 years, and keep telling myself it can't be THAT different... can it? :shock: You're probably right on the timing sums Amanda! :lol:

I'm setting aside the whole of August methinks... the little tinker had gone through two rows of electric fencing, and seems to have covered all 3 of my gilts in the space of 4 days! Judging by their sticky tails... and his pleased grin when we found him in their paddock next morning!!!!!

We ran out of puff banging posts in, to secure the pig wire between him and the others, once we saw him 'at it', so put up the electric until next day... oh well, anyone anywhere near East Anglia for an explosion of piglets possibly on the way ~ we are taking a 'register of interest'!

One of my queens always delivers two or three kittens in a muddle tangled up together, so I know what you mean Wendy, and hate to think what would happen if I was not there to sort it out... wonder if I can bring my 3 girls to bed with us at night nearer the time, like I do with my dogs/cats :wink: okay... where do I get me one of them CCTV thingy's then?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:26 pm

i tihnk i got mine off ebay
its very uncomplicated and just plugs into a little tv in my bedroom so i can watch the nesting etc and when the pushing start i get down there and keep an eye on things,