Keeping the Arc door shut

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
CarolineB

Keeping the Arc door shut

Post by CarolineB » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:04 pm

Our piglets are now 2 days old, they're in the field in an arc and all seem okay. Until this afternoon she was happy to be shut in at night - it was warm today so we had the door open most of the day - it was toasty in the arc. But now it's come to nighttime she's refusing to have the door shut. Not sure what to do. It's warm in there with the heat lamp but it's windy tonight. And there's obviously the fox risk.

I'm not really sure there's much we can do. The way the door is, it's pretty impossible to keep it securely shut if a pig wants it open.
Caroline

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:23 am

Hi Caroline, I have plastic door strips on my arks to stop the wind.Also if you have the outdoor piglet creche it will prevent the piglets escaping but mum can get out to grass.If you give me your email address I will send you some photos of our outdoor farrowing setup.

redgeorge

Post by redgeorge » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:30 pm

She may be too warm. If the piglets are in the arc with their mum they don't need a heat lamp at this time of the year. Do you have or can you borrow a stock trailer? I find this really useful for keeping mum and piglets secure at night.