New to breeding

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
CarolineB

New to breeding

Post by CarolineB » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Is there somewhere I can get info on "pig" birth etc. We think our girls are in pig and due in Apr/May. They have suitable indoor accomodation, and we need to get heat lamps, but I want to read all I can and I'm assuming it's all been written about somewhere!!
Caroline

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:47 am

i'm not sure it has actually as i have just written that book after researching the internet and finding nothing more than the odd paragraph and mainly on indoor pig breeding.
it is going to be serialised soon in a magazine and i will be selling the book from my website but not ready with pictures etc yet.
i do run a breeding course (one day) which covers everything and i give away my book at the end of the day.
if your interested you can look at details on my website =
www.bartonhill.co.uk

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:56 pm

I'd have loved to attend your course, but distance a bit to much for me - we're in Cumbria and I have a 10month old "piglet" of my own. I wonder if I can ask a couple of questions as I've been reading Carol Harris' book this mornign and have got myself into a panic! (Feel a very bag piggy parent for not reading up on this earlier! :oops: )

Piglets are due either 10th April, or 1st May (ish!).

Erisepilis Injections - out girls had jabs before we got them at 8 wks, but we never gave them any more. I think it's too late now - as book says 6 wks if mum isn't just having top up jab.

Worming - they've never been wormed (they have 2 acres for 2 pigs) and have never suffered - is it too late to worm them if piglets are born this weekend? I don't want to poison the piglets or anything.

Seperating the girls pre-farrowing - is this absolutley ness? We have 2 arcs in teh field, so will they seperate themselves, or will the non-farrowing bpig interfere?

Shutting the door - um... our arcs dont' have doors. Are these going to be unsuitable?

Oh, goodness, I feel really irresponsible for not reading up on this before now - it's not like me but April seems to come around awfully quickly.
Caroline

Di

new to breeding

Post by Di » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:08 pm

A book I have found really useful is Starting with Pigs by Andy Case. It covers most things you need.

I have always separated by sows prior to farrowing and sat up all night with them (flask in one hand and Starting with Pigs in the other!). Done that for about 3 year.

This year we moved house and in the middle of it all I arrived at the field one morning to find Minnie in the ark surrounded by piglets! All doing absolutely fine. Minnie was in a paddock with her daughter Babe (about 2 yrs old) Ena who is the same age as Minnie and bought at the same time and Archie the boar! All perfectly happy so I left them all together. They are still together 8 weeks later and all, including Archie, take it in turns to babysit.

Enjoy

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi Caroline
in answer to your questions-

yes, you're too late with the erysipelas but it would be closing the door after the horse has bolted now - the point is to prevent it during pregnancy as they can lose the litter if they become infected.

worming - i would definitely worm now with 2ml injection of noromectin.
this will cover the piglets until weaning too but be sure to worm the piglets at weaning. this is so important and is often overlooked but you will be surprised at the amount of worms that will come out.
i once bought a piglet of 9 weeks from a very reputable breeder. it looked poor and in 2 days was quite sick so i took it to the vet and he treated it for an infection of some sort or another. 2 days later it died. a post mortem revealed the worst worm infestation my vet had ever seen. he even photographed it!! I informed the breeder and will never buy another pig from him again.

seperating pigs for farrowing is up to you
personally i always do as not only do the pigs like to be private and uninterrupted but if there are two fat bodies in an arc then someone is going to get squashed. they may seperate themselves, but not necessarily

you can't really shut an arc off but i never farrow in arcs, i always use out buildings. Farmers tend to farrow in arcs but farmers accept losses - i try not to have any!
the drawbacks are as follows
you can't really set up a creep in an arc
if there is a farrowing problem you (or a vet) can't really get in to see what's going on.
Foxes will take newborn piglets

cilla

farrowing

Post by cilla » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:16 pm

Just to add something..I've worked with farrowing sows and had my kunes breeding for a few years. I've never had a problem with them being in arks..just leave them to it..we have foxes here but never had a piglet taken..the mother keeps them warm naturally..and they don't need a creep area outdoors ..you can just throw the nuts down when you feed mum and they'll help themselves. You will get piglets squashed whatever system you use..it's the mothering skills of the sow that affect that.
So my message is..don't worry!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:29 pm

sorry - didn't mean a creep for feeding, i meant a heat creep to draw piglets away from mum.

I have had two piglets taken by foxes this year, i couldn't believe it when the first one disappeared and we moved an entire log pile looking for him, then the next morning about 11.am i saw the b***** trotting away with the second one
my barn became fort knox after that :evil:

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:41 pm

All my kunes farrow in outdoor arks.I use planks about twelve inches high as an outside creep area and have home made farrowing rails inside the ark.I dont use any heat lamps as I only breed between April and september.The piglets will stay behind the rails out of harms way,luckily I have never lost a single piglet.

Di

New to breeding

Post by Di » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Forgot to say that beside sitting up all night I also used to farrow in a converted stable complete with farrowing rails and heat lamp in a 'fenced off corner'. I always lost a piglet or two (or three).

This time I have not lost one. I worried about foxes but felt it would be too stressful to move the ark with mum and piglets. Maybe I was just lucky but now feel that perhaps I fussed too much in the past.

Good luck

Di

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:24 pm

I must admit that i never miss a birth be it morning noon or night,
i watch and wait with my little cctv until the moment is right then i make my cup of tea and sit on my bale for how ever long it takes -
not necessarily because i think i need to but simply because i wouldn't miss it for the world! :D :D

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:33 pm

Thanks so much to you all for your replies - I feel much better now! I'll get the girls wormed tomorrow adn not owrry about the Ery.

I think we'll give the arcs a go - we have two and elec fencing, so if ones defo farrowing, we can always seperate the other girl off if she won't stay away. The arcs are made by DH (a Joiner) - he made them a bigger so that you can get in - I can nearly stand up in them but then I'm a titch! We'll see how the fox situation goes. If the weather turns bad we do have a buidling they can go in, but it's part of our building site at the min adn full of materials - but it can easily be transformed to be a farrowing stall! lol.

DH can easily set up creep areas inside and outside of the arcs - he's going to do that tomorrow he says. We don't think either are really due this weekend, it's just a possibility that I want to be prepared for.

What else - we have a CCTV but you can guarantee that whichever one we put it in the pig will opt for the other arc! I've made a deal with dh that since i get up for our baby through the night, then he shoudl get up for piggies. Also, since he's had experience of being a birth partner, he should be there for the births. hehehe.

Thanks again everyone.

Cx
Caroline

simon

Post by simon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:21 am

Caroline
Wendys course is great, as are the books mentioned. We live near Kendal if you wanted to pop over for a chat and a bit of reassurance. One of our sows is due any day and you could look at how we do things.
Simon

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks so much for the offer Simon - I have a friend who's a pig breeder locally so she's helped out. The big news is that the first sow farrowed last night - 13 piglets!!! One was stillborn and another died later but 11... eek, I hope the other doesn't have quite so many!
Haven't had chance yet to sex them but there are 2x B&W, 1x Cream and 9x Ginger, some with Black spots. all cute as anything.
Thanks for all your help.
Caroline

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 pm

congratulations!
make sure she has 11 working teats!