weaning

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
Rowlands

weaning

Post by Rowlands » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:48 am

My piglets are now nearly 3 weeks old and I'm beginning to consider how I'll manage them once they're weaned. Although I guess it would be most satisfactory to keep similarly aged pigs together ie the young ones apart from the mature pigs, from a practical point of view it would be most convenient to have them all in the same field. If I remove the two sows from their respective litters and put them back in the field they originally occupied - how long will it be before their milk dries up, and is it ok to put their weaned piglets back with them at this point? They will have 2 arks to choose from and I'll presumably have to ensure the youngsters are getting their fair share of food. Is their anything else I should be aware of?
Sue

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:49 pm

yes, take the sows away as you suggesleave them at least 10 days as the piglets will try to suckle again when you put them back and the maternal instinct will still be there if you put them back too soon. they will come back into milk.

wean them at about 8 weeks.

alison stephen

Post by alison stephen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:43 pm

can i ask, when you move mum out from the piglets is the next door field back with 2 sisters and boar divided by wire too close, would she want back to her piglets ?

simon

Post by simon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Depends on the sow, some are glad to get away and others will destroy anything to get back. When you wean you need to make certain they can't get back together or it won't do sow or piglets any good.

alison stephen

Post by alison stephen » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:46 pm

do you think the sow would be happier with company or on her own for a while, if she goes back with the sister etc will she be bottom of the pack, they do see each other through the fence so i think thats been good but may have to move her further away from the piglets when the time comes as she would see them through the fence.

simon

Post by simon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:31 pm

I generally put a weaned sow alone with a boar. Or sometimes if the piglets have taken a lot out of her, alone for a few days, and then with the boar just for her cycle.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:41 am

beware of putting the sow where she can see or hear er piglets - if they create a fuss (which they will) her hormones will respond and she may continue to make milk when you are trying to dry her off. this could lead to mastitis
i usually put them well out of earshot for at least a week then hopefully she will have started to cycle and she wont be interested in them again