aggressive sow- urgent advice

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
Rowlands

aggressive sow- urgent advice

Post by Rowlands » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:45 pm

One of my KK girls who delivered her piglets yesterday has started to become aggressive towards them. I'm so worried that she will do them serious damage. I noticed one piglet had a small cut on his shoulder this morning but don't know whether it was his mum or a sibling to blame. Yesterday after a 6 hour labour I made excuses for her when she snapped at her little ones. Now she has started rushing at them when they come out of the creep area and bowling them over. Should I separate them or sedate her or do you think she'll calm down? Having said that she appears to feed them quite normally at other times. They don't appear hungry as they are not sqealing . Any advice would be gratefully accepted as I don't want to interfere unnecessarily but would be devastated if they came to harm.
Sue

Fran

Post by Fran » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:24 pm

Hello Sue, Congratulations on your litter but sorry to hear that you are having problems.I have a sow called Peggy who has always reacted to her piglets aggressively and have now retired her, I have always had to call out the vet to give her a shot of stresnil (a sedative)straight after farrowing. The vet told me that she is being overprotective.
Is it your sow/gilts first litter?It seems to be rare for kune Mums to react in this way but more likely with their first litter.
The stresnil has always worked and Peggy has been miraculously fine with the piglets once it has worn off but whilst she is sedated, drunken and staggering around she has sometimes walked on piglets by mistake so it has never been the ideal solution. My vet is happy to give advice over the phone with no charge so you could always give yours a ring unless any other society member has any better ideas.
P.S is it you that knows a friend of mine who has just moved into their lighthouse cottage in the Lakes?

Rowlands

aggressive pig

Post by Rowlands » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:28 pm

On Wendy's advice I checked to make sure she had milk in her udders and she did in 3 out of the 4 I checked. I didn't want to prod her around too much! All is well at the moment and the piglets seem to be feeding although there seems to be a lot of swapping teats and moving up and down the line. Is this normal, perhaps because the milk supply is variable?
Thanks for your advice Fran- I'll keep this option in mind and discuss with my vet if things don't setle. I don't think I know your friend. by the way.

Sue
Sue

Fran

Post by Fran » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:44 pm

O.K , Good to hear things are better, Yes the teat swapping is normal until they all settle down to the same teat every time in a couple of days. Best of Luck!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:50 pm

Glad to hear all is still ok,
i do hope she now settles and you can relax and enjoy the piglets,
best of luck
Wendy