7 month old boar's bits!!

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
CathB

7 month old boar's bits!!

Post by CathB » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 pm

When should a kunekune boars testicles drop/become visable? Also can he do the business before they drop? Just realised he's probably of age and he's still in with the other gilts, but still no sign of his equipment!!

Thanks, Cath

Ali Webster

Post by Ali Webster » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi Cath, you should certainly be able to feel both testicles at seven months, even though the the sac may not be pronounced. It's best to try and have a feel when he's relaxed, for example when he's laying on his side having his tummy rubbed. (I don't make a habit of this honestly!) We have had a problem in the past where one testicle didn't decend until he was about 7 months, at which point we had him castrated (full anaesthetic required) because he wouldn't have been a good example of a breeding boar. However, although he wasn't showing signs of sexual maturity then, the sows were noticably nudging him when they were on heat, so I don't think it would have taken long! Happy hunting!.... Ali

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:24 pm

you can usually see them at 3 or 4 months and i have seen a boar trying to use his as young as 3 months although its usually about 8 months when they start.
having said that, i'd move him :D

CathB

Post by CathB » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I think i do need to either move him asap or have him done asap!!