At what point is it worth keeping a Boar?

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
jackshuldham

At what point is it worth keeping a Boar?

Post by jackshuldham » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Hello,

I have 1 kunekune gilt and a castrate to keep her company, I am hoping to put her in pig next year and think i have found a suitable boar but at what point do you think is a good idea to keep my own, It seems an awful fuss moving them around...etc If I were to keep the boar and the sow together year round what would be the likely outcome? Would I have to periodically change the boar to stop there being many piglets born from the same pairing?

Best Wishes
Jack

simon

Re: At what point is it worth keeping a Boar?

Post by simon » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:34 am

The main thing to think about is handling the boar. kunekunes are fairly docile compared to other breeds, but an intact boar will still get more 'alpha male' than a castrate and you need to consider this if you have kids or visitors around. You just can't leave them wandering around other people in the same way you can a castrate or sow.

You probably already have an idea of how much it would cost to feed a boar year round - pretty much the same as your existing pigs. So calculating the cost/hassle compared to using stud is fairly easy, but individual to you.

On the plus side keeping your own boar can help the breed by widening the gene pool and, if you choose to, give other local breeds another stud boar to use. It also takes the hassle out of visiting a stud boar.

Everyone I know separates the boar & sow before she farrows. I assume mainly so he doesn't squish them when he flops over to sleep. Whenever I've seen boars around piglets they seem to be very caring - but I'd be interested to know other peoples views on this. Any gilts you keep would need to be separated from him as they get older - they will become fertile at any point from 4 months. You need to be 100% certain you can keep them separate.

Theres no reason you couldn't keep the same sow & boar pairing for 10years. Obviously there might be a point when you flood the gene pool, but it depends on whether your piglets go for pets, meat or breeding stock. I wouldn't worry too much about this and just deal with it if it ever became a problem.

jackshuldham

Post by jackshuldham » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Thank you Simon,

I would only have 1 or 2 breeding sows, from your experience would it be worth it to have a Boar?
My plan for the offspring, in freezer unless a particularly good one, If I had the boar i could have the gilts and sows in one field and the unsaturated male piglets and the boar in another?

Need to work out all the timings for it because we may need to put the boar with the sows before the gilts are ready for the freezer...

Still don't think my gilt is fertile at 10 months!

Thanks again

simon

Post by simon » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:09 pm

I can't really answer for you if its worth having a boar. Its a personal decision based on your setup and circumstances.
Possibly you are better off having a first litter and seeing how it goes.

jackshuldham

Post by jackshuldham » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:21 am

That is what I think I will do, Thank you Simon!