Breeding Questions!

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
jackshuldham

Breeding Questions!

Post by jackshuldham » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi Guys,

I am new to pigs/Kunes.
I have recently bought a gilt and castrate. They are 8 months old and when she is a bit older I would like to have a litter of Piglets. I have a couple of Questions

What age shall i put her in pig?
Her father is Tutaki, Mother (and therefore her?) are awakino. What would be a good boar to put her too?
If i sent her away to a boar, what would i do with the castrate? would he get really lonely?

Thanks!
Jack

simon

Re: Breeding Questions!

Post by simon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:43 pm

I never put a gilt to the boar until she is at least a year old - sometimes more. After that you need to select your desired birthdate and work backwards. When you send her away it will be for a 3week stay. The castrate will get lonely, but nothing that a little extra tlc won't cure.

As far as selecting a boar goes read all the articles on breeding on the main website and use the breed planning tool to see if your gilt is related to any proposed boar. Probably there will be a limited number of boars close enough to you and it won't be such a complicated decision.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask more questions when you have read the articles.
Simon

jackshuldham

Post by jackshuldham » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Thank you Simon,
I get a bit confused with the lineage things, (awaken,tutaki...etc)
Do you think you could explain it a little?
Thanks again

simon

Post by simon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:55 pm

A kune's bloodline (or surname if you prefer) is inherited from the parents. Males get the bloodline from their father and females from their mother. Thats not to say that all pigs with the same bloodline are related, they aren't necessarily, or at least not in the past 5 generations - which is what really matters for breeding purposes.

jackshuldham

Post by jackshuldham » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:00 pm

Thank you Simon!