Avoiding in-breeding

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
Tim McLoughlin

Avoiding in-breeding

Post by Tim McLoughlin » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:42 am

Hi, if possible I'd like some advice about what to do with my pigs after I hopefully have our first litters in the Spring of this year. I keep two breeds of pigs; four kunekunes (one sow, one boar and two castrates) and four Meishan pigs (three sows and one boar). We only keep them as pets and want to breed happy and healthy pigs to sell as pets, show or breeding stock in the future.

My question is this; after any first litters from the boar should we then introduce an outcross into the next generation either as a new boar to the gilts that are born or a new unrelated sow back to our original boar. The same is also true of the Meishan pigs and critical as they are still quite scarce in the UK.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Tim

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Avoiding in-breeding

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:50 pm

Hi Tim,

I completely missed this post at the time, my apologies.

The Year Book is just about to come out and will be posted to all members. This has some very useful information in it that will help. We have also introduced an area on the website where you can calculate COI (Coefficient of Inbreeding) for prospective pairings. We have added a 'traffic light system' to help alert members to what is good/bad. Have a read of all this and come back to me if you need further advice - samjonesbkkps@aol.com :D
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

simon

Post by simon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:51 am

repatexpat

Post by repatexpat » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:59 am

Your new feature is terrific, Simon. Glad that I have just a few numbers of females and possible males to play with as it's seductive!
Gloucestershire

Angkhana

Post by Angkhana » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks very much to be useful.