Locking piglets in at night

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
repatexpat

Locking piglets in at night

Post by repatexpat » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:51 am

Another newbee question: We've been locking piglets and sow in the shed at night, just for 8 hours at the beginning, now up to a 12 hour night. The sow is often reluctant to come in (but will with an apple!). Now that the piglets are almost 5 weeks old and the smallest is ~5kg, is it okay to just leave the door open (is there still a risk of fox predation)?
Gloucestershire

repatexpat

Re: Locking piglets in at night

Post by repatexpat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Found a few related threads on The Accidental Smallholder. Have yet to find a safe-from-foxes target weight but it seems that locking the sow and piglets in at night might need to continue until piglets are 6-8 weeks (and/or weaned). Any more specifics gratefully received. Cheers!
Gloucestershire

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:21 pm

I lock mine in at night until a couple of weeks after they are weaned unless there are any that are particularly small. The million dollar question is how small is small!! I can honestly say it is not scientific, I look at them, lift them and if I felt they are too light and not wriggly enough to escape a fox then they are kept in longer. This has only happened once though.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Grzyby15

Post by Grzyby15 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:07 pm

I also think that it depends on size. I would still lock them if they are very small.

DelMar Kunekunes

Post by DelMar Kunekunes » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:00 am

Know of several folks that have enjoyed fox free status using these. Not an endorsement of this particular brand as they are quite common now. I suppose someone handy with a soldering iron and a schematic could make their own pretty inexpensively.
http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Guard-NG-001 ... ator+light

We have an abundance of fox to worry with at night, but to be honest since putting up a five foot tall welded wire fence we've not seen any jump it (although I would guess that they likely could). Greater concern at night here is Great Horned Owls, and during the day Bald Eagles, Red Tailed Hawks, and giant black buzzards. By about 8-9 kilos I can't imagine any of our foxes venturing a try, but we currently have four litters on the ground that are 1-3 weeks old and they all get locked up at night.