Birth notification: colour; piri

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
repatexpat

Birth notification: colour; piri

Post by repatexpat » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 am

Converted from GOS to KKs last year, buying a sow with piglets at foot. Just had a fantastic first experience of farrowing, now time for the paperwork.
Two questions:
:?: 1. Colour: compared to my B/W sow (boar is CR) first impression is that most are W/B. Closer inspection shows that many/all have brown highlights. Where these fit the description "camouflage-like longitudinal striping pattern that disappears as they get older" (http://www.kunekune.co.nz/article-coat- ... etics.html) does this mean I birth notify as W/B or as TRI? My sow's first litter were B/W & W/BR. She and they had seasonal ginger highlights, so I know that she's not clear B/W. We're going to take individual pictures today or tomorrow. If anyone wants to weigh-in on whether piglets are B/W or W/B or TRI, please do respond and I'll share pictures (will also look through the Board to see if there is a central location for posting images).
:?: 2. Piris: Does one count the looks-like-it-should-drop-off stringy piri or just the proper chunky ones?

Thanks!
Gloucestershire

simon

Re: Birth notification: colour; piri

Post by simon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:00 pm

1) As a general rule Tri isn't that common. To be Tri they should really have at least 3 distinct colours over all the body. Most pigs have a patch of another colour somewhere or stray hairs, but that doesn't make them tri.

2) A dangly piri counts for registration. You might be surprised how long they can last. But from a show and breeding point of view a matching pair is best.

People sometimes get hung up about tri coloured or searching for a lump to call a piri - in the mistaken belief that it makes a difference to the value of the pig. These things are mostly just there as a backup to pig identification and to allow the society to track if things are becoming rarer in the population.

But please post photos as we're never bored of looking at pigs on this forum.

repatexpat

Re: Birth notification: colour; piri

Post by repatexpat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks for this, Simon. Once I've identified a place to store these and other photos, I will provide links.

Based on your explanation, I think we can discount TRI for our piglets. Don't feel confident with the colours we'll record on the litter notification as the agouti markings are still prominent and it's hard to tell if individual piglets are primarily Br or B.
Gloucestershire