2 sows foarrowing in same stable

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
Koen

2 sows foarrowing in same stable

Post by Koen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 am

Hello,

Would it be a problem to let 2 sows farrow in the same stable.
My first sow has farrowed yesterday (5 piglets are doing fine, 6 were dead :( ). My second sow should farrow within 10 days.

Would both litters get mixed when they are in the same stable?

simon

Re: 2 sows foarrowing in same stable

Post by simon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:25 am

Its not something I do, but I have seen it done without problem. As long as you keep an eye and separate them if necessary you could give it a go. But personally I wouldn't do it as I can't think of many benefits.

Here are some things to watch out for:
  • Its possible that smaller piglets might lose out on milk if they start sharing sows.
    A sow might take a dislike to the other litter and get aggressive.
    With the older litter having such a head start they might bully the younger litter.
    From a pedigree point of view making sure you know which piglet came from which sow. It will be obvious at first, but when they are all a couple of months old and running everywhere it might be difficult if a lot look similar. If you don't know who the mother is, you can't register it.

Koen

Post by Koen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:14 am

Thx Simon for the reply.

I haven't got a lot of other options. I'll try to make a creche with wooden planks in the stable so the other piglets can't get with the younger litter that easily.
But still It would not be ideal.

The situation is this:
1 stable 5m by 4m with one door giving access to the penn with grass.
I want the sows to have free access to the grass at all time so they have to go through the same door outside.
I don't want her to farrow in an arc because that's where my boar is.

simon

Post by simon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:18 am

Some planks to make a fender sounds like a good idea. A day makes all the difference at birth.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:55 pm

I farrow my girls in pairs but have a partition between them in the farrowing shed I use. The sows can see each other and have nose contact having only been separated when the first shows signs of farrowing. However, you can never be sure how a sow will respond once she has farrowed so I keep the sows and piglets away from each other for the first week at least. I then leave a gap in the partition that the piglets can use to go between the sows when I think they are able to get out of the way of the sow that isn't their mother when they lie down. If this is harmonious I allow the sows to mix in an outside area. They do start to share the feeding. There is one big difference for me when I use that system and that is my sows farrow within a day or two of each other and so some of the risks Simon mentioned are minimised.

The first 48hrs are the most dangerous and with one litter of piglets being 10 days or so older I think it could be very risky you allowing the sows and piglets to mix from my own personal experiences. I would do all you can to keep them separate.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Koen

Post by Koen » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:08 pm

I tried to buld an enclosure with some wooden planks but the piglets of my first sow crawl over it while the sow that still has to farrow will not.
Should I confine her for a couple of days after birth so she can't get out of the stable. Is that a good idea? The new piglets will have the sow for them alone for the first two days.
Wouldn't that stress the sow? She has never been locked up before...

Man, do I feel stupid... :oops:

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 pm

i would agree with Sam and Simon,
you really need them separated for the first week or so. Can you not put the older litter out in an ark with their mother now?

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:18 pm

For the first couple of days and possibly the first week the sow will have little interest in getting up and going out so you could confine her. Given the options you have I would do that. I don't think you have space to accommodate the first sow outside in an ark with her litter do you? If you did that would be perfect :D
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.