Too old to accept the boar at four?

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
Mora

Too old to accept the boar at four?

Post by Mora » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi everyone, I am new here although I have read lots of the posts on various topics this is the first time I have asked a question.

If two kunekune sows of four years old have never been bred before are they likely to have problems accepting the boar?

Are there any other problems likely to be associated with a late first mating and possible pregnancy. Hope someone can help.
Thanks
Mora

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Too old to accept the boar at four?

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:35 pm

The older they get sometimes the more difficult it is to get them in pig but this is often linked to them being overweight.

If they are happy, healthy and not overweight then they shouldn't have problems maintaining a pregnancy or farrowing it is just it may take longer to get them in pig initially if they are not barren.

If they are coming into season and are ready to stand they will not have any problem accepting a boar, they will be very keen :)

Do you know if they are coming into season every 21 days?? if they are not then the presence of a boar in a neighbouring pen will stimulate this. if they still don't start cycling your vet could inject them with PG600 to bring on a season. This brings them into a standing brim in 5 days so you would need a boar on standby!!

Hope that helps.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.