Infertility problems

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
JessieMay

Infertility problems

Post by JessieMay » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi There :)

Just over a year ago I put two gilts to a boar, both together.
The one got pregnant just fine and produced a lovely litter, the other did not get pregnant and as she was not a nice pig anyway so I contacted the breeder
and she came to pick her up for sausages and told me to come and pick another pig.

I chose a nice looking gilt (called Mango) but her pedigree took a few months to arrive due to the breeder already having applied for it and had misplaced it.
According to the pedigree she was the LITTER SISTER to the one I sent away!! (Having chosen the pig out of a group of around 20 I have no idea how I did this :oops: )

But she is a nice shape little thing and completely different to her sister.

I had a boar around serving my sow (who produced a litter of 11) and he was so nice that I sent Mango to him around a month later, she was with him for 7 weeks from the first of July, enough for 2 seasons.

She hasnt got pregnant :(, so do I assume that she and her sister had/has infertility problems or do I try again with her?
I have never seen her on heat and I never saw her sister on heat, also she is a very "manly" pig and tries to attack my young boars through the fence, she has chewed through stock wire like it is nothing, this was also the same with the sister.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/help for me?

Many thanks

Jess

The Rushbury Pig

Re: Infertility problems

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi there,

Quick reply sorry, 7 weeks isn't a long time to establish is she is infertile but I understand you may want it to happen more quickly so you know she is not infertile!

If you can afford to I would ask you vet to inject her with PG600 a hormone injection that brings them into season and ready to stand on about the fifth day after injection. Sometimes gilts need 'kick starting'. It is not generally an expensive injection.

I have done this with other breeds and the sow has gone on to have good litters and then comes into season without the need for another injection.

Good Luck :)
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:14 am

i have used PG 600 on kunes too and with success :)

JessieMay

Post by JessieMay » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi Rushbury and Wendy

Thanks for your replies :)

I am considering trying to put her in pig again at some point, but not so sure anymore due to her teats (she has 8 and 1 blind one)
so if she had more than 8 I would have to bottle feed
(which I really dont want to do, last one was SUCH hard work and the pig turned into a dog bullying monster!!)

It may be that I choose a nicer more correct pig to keep on to breed from my next litter and say goodbye to mango, the only reason I want to keep her is that
she rolls over for a belly rub at the slightest touch :) and is a sweet pig apart from her wanting to kill the little boy pigs and biting through the stock wire when the others get fed....