mixing sows-advice please

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
hayleyhart

mixing sows-advice please

Post by hayleyhart » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi, i have a middle aged sow and have been offered 2x 3 yr old sister sows as companions, i would just like some advice as to if this is a good idea-or if there is likely to be any bullying or infighting introducing 2 animals that have lived together for 3 years to a lone female??

many thanks

wendy scu

Re: mixing sows-advice please

Post by wendy scu » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:38 pm

you are right, it can be difficult to introduce adult pigs of any sex/age especially after they have lived exclusively for a length of time. However, i have never known a group not to integrate eventually. Sometimes it takes a day or two and sometimes a week or so but in the end they will all get on. just be prepared for a fair bit of pushing, shoving and even fighting.
You can make it as easy as possible by running the pigs alongside each other either side of the fence for a week or so before you actually introduce them and i always introduce them on 'neutral' ground.
pigs can be very territorial so try to do the actual mixing in a space that is not owned by either. Ideally a fresh paddock so they have plenty of room to run away from each other.
Once the pecking order is established fighting will stop.

simon

Re: mixing sows-advice please

Post by simon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:00 pm

I find plenty of feed makes everyone sleepy for a couple of days.