Ai for kunekune sows

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
pedro1

Ai for kunekune sows

Post by pedro1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi everyone I have had a boar with a sow since the 7th of April and she is not pregnant as she was mated again yesterday. Yesterday I noticed that the boar had released his fluids when he was mating so if she does not fall pregnant then I know he is infertile. If he is infertile I was wondering if anyone has used artifical insemination with their kunekune pigs and if so how much was it and was it easy to use. Also I know the sow is not infertile since she had a litter of piglets in early febuary this year from Tom

simon

Re: Ai for kunekune sows

Post by simon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:15 pm

There isn't AI available from a kunekune boar, and in order to widen the gene pool I hope there never is.

It does sound like you need a new boar. Theres a chance its her rather than him, fertility comes and goes, but if hes never had piglets before its most likely him.

How old is he, and is there a size difference? Are you sure he can reach?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:39 pm

How old is your sow and when did she last farrow?

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:36 pm

Pedro the boar is 3 and had a litter 2 years ago and has been mating with our older sows but we know they are infertile and there is no size diffrence he might be a bit taller but I know he can reach as when he was mating I saw him release his liquid into her. Strawberry the sow is 2 years and 3 months old and had her 3rd litter on febuary the 3rd this year hope this helps you help me from Tom

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:45 pm

i would be optimistic that you will get a litter. All kinds of things will affect their fertility - it could even be the weather! give them a bit longer. At least you know they have both performed in the past and that they are actually mating.

pedro1

Post by pedro1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:42 am

Yes I will be optimistic because it is really puzzling me how that 2 young animals that have both had littles before can't have one together and this time they were mating for longer than they have had before and it's the first time I have seen him release his liquid from Tom