Registering the progeny of pure but unregistered gilts

Everything you need to know about the breeding of kunekune Pigs.
Ratchete

Registering the progeny of pure but unregistered gilts

Post by Ratchete » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:44 am

I've recently acquired 2 four year old sibling gilts. They were purchased for my husband's 60th birthday and are doing a grand job of clearing up rough bits of the farm. Another plus is they are calm & workable unlike the 2 we had previously which at a best guess were wild boar x pot bellies with looks & temperments that even their mother's would struggle to like. They did however make good eating. Even the birds got a fed with the many pounds of fat rendered from the carcases & mixed with seeds.

However they are unregistered, but are from registered parents so I can find out their lineage. They are obviously out with the time periods for notification/registration. Is there a mechanism for registering them or their progeny? I am curios because with other species there are ways of registering non pedigree animals and/or breeding them up so that their progeny at some point down the line can be registered. In our case it's not critical that they are registered as we will at some point eat them, but we have been considering trying to taking a litter (which will also be eaten) from one or both of them, not necessarily at the same time.

Thanks

R
Lang May Your Lumb Reek!

simon

Re: Registering the progeny of pure but unregistered gilts

Post by simon » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:51 am

The BKKPS only allows registrations & birth notifications where both parents are pedigree registered.
Also at 4 years old its not always easy to get them in-pig if they have not been breeding regularly.

Ratchete

Post by Ratchete » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Thank you for your reply.

The larger of the 2 gilts was in season today, but will put both to a boar at the same time. As I have no intention of buying/keeping a boar the gilts will be going on an an extended holiday and we will see what happens. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that. I would prefer to have a litter before consigning one of the gilts to the freezer. I've checked out the video on selecting suitable pigs for breeding & my two seem acceptable, not fantastic but with no major defects either..

It does seem a little short sighted not to have a mechanism to register pigs out with the standard procedure, but hey hum not a biggy. The potential sire of my potential litter(s) is registered which would make the piglets 50% pedigree if that continued it would be another 2G before the piglets were 87.5% from registered stock which for cattle breeder would be usually considered pure bred. I know I'm mixing up pure & pedigree here but it would be one way of encouraging non pedigree breeders (rogue ;) ) back into the fold. Perhaps another way would be by DNA testing to prove parentage.

Anyway I'll keep lurkng about the forums, looking for information, help and contributing when & if I can.

R
Lang May Your Lumb Reek!

simon

Post by simon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:17 am

DNA testing does prove parentage. But it doesn't prove the breed of pig.

I don't know many people prepared to breed 3, or the preferable 5, generations so that they could register offspring. But if you think its a good idea write an article for the newsletter, propose it at the AGM and persuade everyone its the right thing.