kunekunes for meat

All aspects of raising and using kunekunes for meat.
KatherineF

kunekunes for meat

Post by KatherineF » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:19 pm

I realise that this is rather a taboo subject but I'm sure that I am not the only person who is rearing male kunekunes for meat. I believe that if you provide your animals with the best conditions and a happy life it is acceptable to pop them in the freezer when the time comes.

However, I am currently rearing my first litter and am unsure what sort of weight I should be aiming for before slaughter. All my pig books give details for more common varieties but nothing so special as a kunekune.

Is there anyone out there who can offer some advice? My 3 boars are currently approx 4 months old and using the measuring technique weigh about 70 pounds.

Hope someone can offer some advice

Katherine

Di

kunekunes for meat

Post by Di » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Will pm you

Di

CarolineB

Post by CarolineB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:26 pm

Hi Katherine

We recently took our 3 boys at 10 months old. Not sure what they weighed though. Smaller than normal pigs but big enough. Joints look a perfect size for 4 people!

I completely agree about the Happy Pork principle. that's why we got piggies. And taking them to the abatoir was really fine. No travelling issues, and when we got there, they just went into their stall with no fuss. More interested in saying hello to the sheep in the stall next door. cost us ?36 per pig to slaughter and butcher. Now have a chest freezer full of pork.

we'd never done this before, so I was anxious as to how I would feel about it, but (and bearing in mind I'm 7 months preg and very hormonal) it was fine as the pigs were so undistressed. Obviously I don't know what happened during the "process" but it's a good familiy run abbatoir and butchers so you trust they do it "right".

And the meat is fine and dandy. Not tough, or "tainted". Chops have a thicker layer of fat than usual, but rest of it looks just like regular pork - just smaller (and more manageable than some leg joints we've had from other breeds which were too huge for words!)

Caroline
Caroline