4 year old castrates for meat

All aspects of raising and using kunekunes for meat.
davidc

4 year old castrates for meat

Post by davidc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Anyone sent off older pigs for meat? What was the meat like? I've never sent anything off, so novice, but just wondering if being 4 years old will affect the meat and if it is better to turn it into sausages?

cheers

David

simon

Re: 4 year old castrates for meat

Post by simon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:57 am

The main question would be is the pig quite fat. If it is I would mostly do sausages, and keep a few key bits like the tenderloin. What I do is ask the butcher to make a judgement based on what he sees when he gets it on the table.

But being an older animal - and maybe one thats actually spent time using its muscles - expect the meat to be different than the stuff you get in the supermarket.

davidc

Post by davidc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks for your reply Simon. If they aren't over fat and used to being outdoors with plenty of room to exercise, are you meaning that it is going to be tough? So would that also be better in sausages? I guess what I'm trying to establish is that as long as the meat is processed into suitable cuts or product then its going to be quite edible and I'm not wasting my time or money!

Cheers

David

simon

Post by simon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:24 pm

Whether the meat is tough or not depends on how you cook it. The younger any animal the more tender its meat will be. But that doesn't stop some fine meals with older animals. You wouldn't waste your money.

davidc

Post by davidc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:37 pm

Cheers Simon, many thanks

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:26 pm

I would take advice from your butcher. Usually four year old pigs of any pig breed would be used for sausages as, at this stage, the meat can be tough and particularly fatty. It is still worth asking your butcher to check cuts and make suggestions though. I rely on mine to do that for me and butcher accordingly.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.