3 kunekune's Advice please wat 2do

All aspects of raising and using kunekunes for meat.
clarkzter

3 kunekune's Advice please wat 2do

Post by clarkzter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:48 pm

I woke the other morning on our farm to find that some vandals had been in the cattle feed overnight, the same thing happened again the next night. So i waited up and 3kune kune pigs made there way into the yard from the wooded area behiund and helped themselves to the cattle feed. I have asked locally and no one nearby keeps pigs so we can only think that they have beeen abandoned pets maybe?On our farm we keep beef cattle and sheep for meat, i have never had pigs before. I have put the pigs in with some weaned calves and they are very happy and i have purchased some finishing pig feed. I am unsure of age and having never delt with pigs couldnt even guess, they are approx 1 1/2 ft tall and 2 are a tan brown with black flecks and the other mainly black with tan brown flecks all have the tassells under there necks-all 3 are female. The pigs are very friendly and my daughter loves feeding/interacting with them, I think the best route to go down is for meat and i would think they currently weigh in the region of 20kgs HOWEVER we think the smaller one may be in pig. non of the pigs have ear tags or have any signs of having tags in the past.

Any advice gratefully recieved on getting our pigs ready for the table

Clarkzter

simon

Re: 3 kunekune's Advice please wat 2do

Post by simon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:54 am

From the description they sound like they could be cross wild boar. I have heard of wild boar males jumping into an enclosure of kunekune females and serving them - presumably the reverse is also possible.
Could you post a photo?

The first thing to do will be to inform these people (http://www.eaml2.org.uk/) of a 'movement' onto your holding so that you don't get fined if theres an inspection. You'll need defra to give you a herd mark for pig ear tags.
Worm them with whatever you have available - check the instructions and you probably have something
Order yourself some metal tags ready for them going.
Since the breed and age is uncertain you will need to feed by eye - making sure they don't get too fat. Be careful of high protein feed - its likely to be too much for them so go for dry sow nuts next time. And ensure they can't get to the calf feed or they will end up enormous.

clarkzter

Re: 3 kunekune's Advice please wat 2do

Post by clarkzter » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks for the advice will give them a shot of wormer this week and let defra know the state of play, i will take few snaps this week and endeavor to post them so you can have a look and see what you think. I will scale back the feeding as we are feeding them loads at the mo (the problem with letting a four year old feed them-she thinks they need feeding every hour!)

Clarkzter