types of food

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Lenny

types of food

Post by Lenny » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi, I have two 7 month old kunekunes and have been feeding them pig grower feed from country wide. I really dont know how long they should be on this food for. Do they need to go onto an adult food? and which one is best for them and my wallet?

This is my first time of having pigs and i have a book but still feel unsure and need some real advice.

Many thanks Leanne :D

The Rushbury Pig

Re: types of food

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Hello there, feeding your pigs is often down to personal choice as there are many ways of maintaining a healthy pig so don't be surprised if you get lots of different answers :? I think we would all agree on the fact that kunekune don't need to be on a high protein feed as they will just get very fat and happy :D To keep things simple, a sow breeder nut or sow roll that can be bought from any agricultural supplier will have about 16% protein in with a good mix of vitamins and minerals and is suitable for feeding and maintaining good health in any type of kunekune. As you will already know, they don't need as much as larger breeds though so adjust the quantities to suit. The grower pellet you are using will almost certainly have a higher protein content and your two lovely piggies may start putting on too much weight if you keep them on it :( Switch from one to the other slowly mixing the two to begin with. If they don't have access to lots of grass give them a variety of vegetables/fruit (if you can afford to) and try them on hay/haylage in the winter. Watch their waistline when giving them any new foods though as it's surprising how easy it is for them to balloon - well my girls certainly seem to grow theirs very easily!! Hope this helps.
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Lenny

Post by Lenny » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi, well over the last couple of months my two girls have certaintly put on weight! my little ginger kune Peach is looking a bit barrell like!!! :oops: well im off to my local countrywide store tomorrow so shall see what selection they stock. Thak you for your help

Leanne Jones and my two fat kunes Peach and Smudge!!! :D

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:53 pm

i agree with Sam, kunes need a lower protein than most pigs - 16% is plenty and even better is pot bellied pig food (12-14%), although it is expensive :(