Substitue for grass in winter.

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Colourchestnut

Substitue for grass in winter.

Post by Colourchestnut » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi All
Can any one please give me some advice on what we could use to substitute grass for my Kunes in this really wet weather as their
grazing has turned into mud. We have more grass that we could give them and fence off but feel that as the weather is at the moment it will result in a mud bath really quickly. :(
We also own horses and obviously substitute their feed with haylage. Our Kunes have two meals a day of both pellets etc and fruit and veg but am concerned that they will need something to substitue the lack of grazing. Advice would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

wendy scu

Re: Substitue for grass in winter.

Post by wendy scu » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:33 pm

you can try hay or haylage as the horses do but i have found that they hardly bother with it at all - most gets taken into bed to build the nest with! its worth a try though. they also love barley straw,

ambriel

Post by ambriel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:55 pm

Ours is the same - horrible, clinging mud. I've given the boys free range to the whole garden so they've got a bit of dry ground.

They do like sleeping on top of the hay box I build - this is just a cage made of stock fencing fixed to an old pallet to keep it off the ground, and filled with loose hay. Not only do they have a comfy daytime bed but they get to snack on it, too.

The Rushbury Pig

Post by The Rushbury Pig » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi there,

I tried 2 or 3 types of hay with mine and luckily for me they love hay from the hay meadow next to my field :) I usually put a whole bale into the stable where 9 of them sleep; mine are just starting to stand in there and pull bits out of the bale for quite a bit of the day despite having access to an acre of long grass. Last year they got through a lot of bales between them such that I was able to reduce there pig nut intake substantially. They actually started to raid the hay store eating bales on the bottom so that it nearly collapsed :o
I think it may have helped to get them started on the hay by cutting back slightly on there pigs nuts so they had to look around a little bit for food. I do agree with Wendy though that if you put it outside for them they seem to just walk around on it or use it for bedding
Cheerio for now, Sam Jones :-)

BKKPS Chairperson
Email : samjonesbkkps@aol.com
Tel: 0845 489 5863, leaving a message for the secretary who will forward to me.

Colourchestnut

Post by Colourchestnut » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks For your advice All,
Although we have given them another big strip of grass to use it is getting very muddy already so am going to try them on the haylage I have for the horses to see what they think of it :wink: Is there any type of feeder, ect that is best to feed the hay from to stop it getting trampled on and just wasted ?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:56 pm

you could just try good old haynets but watch they don't climb on the and get their legs stuck. if you put a bae in and don't cut the tring as Sam says that would help.