On the ground or in a trough?

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
LyzzyT

On the ground or in a trough?

Post by LyzzyT » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:43 am

Hi I just wondered how the majority of you feed your pigs? I know it will probably depend on how many you have. We made a trough from a piece of half round guttering for ours when they first arrived but they outgrew it after about 3 weeks!

I've been feeding them on the floor as its been relatively dry with plenty of grass and they seem to like rummaging around picking up pig nuts and fruit/veg however I fully expect there to be times when the pen is a quagmire and their food will disappear into the mud.

My husband has just brought me home two fabulous castiron pig troughs, one is round like a half doughnut and the other is a tradional trough about 3 feet long. His parents kept meat pigs years ago and they were left over in their barn so I will probably use one when I move the piglets out into the big field. Be interesting to know what everyone does.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:57 pm

i feed mine on the ground although it does encourage them to root and dig after they've finished eating :oops:

Carol

Post by Carol » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:33 pm

I feed mine on the ground in the summer as long as it is not too wet, but in the winter I use recycled rubber skips. It saves the ground when grass is at a premium and there is less squabbling over the food if they have a skip each. I have found that when using a trough there is always one that gets most of the food, although a round trough sounds better than a straight one.

truella

Post by truella » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:16 pm

With the amount of pigs (not just kunes) I have now, I have no option but to feed off the ground.

When I first started with pigs though I fed all of them in troughs which saved the ground ALOT - but now all the troughs hold water. :roll:

If you only have a few pigs I would say it's nice to feed them in a trough for the following reasons -

A - it saves the ground if the trough is moved around the pen

B - they know where you will be going when they see the feed bucket & usually will wait at the trough or run ahead of you to the trough

C - I think it also gives the pigs a chance to 'get to know you' when you have to walk accross the pen to the trough rather than just throwing it over the fence (like I have to do now to prevent them jumping the fence if I'm going too slow) :oops:
Mind over Matter...........You don't mind, it doesn't matter!!!!!