Am I feeding my pigs too much?

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Piggywig

Am I feeding my pigs too much?

Post by Piggywig » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:22 pm

I am feeding my 4 month old piglets the following and wondered if I was over feeding them. Any advice would be much appreciated.

In the morning at 8am I chop approximately 2 apples, a tangerine, 2/3 carrotts, 2 potatoes, some plum tomatoes and maybe some banana. They love it and that is given between the 2 of them.

At 5pm I feed them 2 standard scoops of pot bellied pig pellets.

Throughout the day they have grazing too but not a lot left. I hand feed them long grass sometimes too.

Is that okay?

Many thanks in advance!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:32 pm

not sure what your 'standard scoop' is like but as a guideline i always tell my customers to feed 1 lb of pig nuts per pig per day in two feeds. fruit and veg is good but i would cut out the tomatoes as these can agrivate arthritis which kunes are prone to.

isn't there a feeding chart on the pot bellied pig food bag?

Piggywig

Post by Piggywig » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi, yes there is a chart on the back of the pack. It goes on weight of the pig and I have no idea what they weigh. It was more the fruit and veg quantities I was unsure of. When I say standard scoop I mean like one you would use with dry dog food. Standard size in the pet shop... They don't cater for pigs though unfortunately :)

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:32 pm

at 4 months i would think they are around 15 kg. prbably still small enough for you to weigh yourself then jump on the scales with a pig in your arms and do the maths! worth a try

Piggywig

Post by Piggywig » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:43 am

Good idea.. Thanks. Do you think the amount of fruit and veg is okay?

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:08 pm

yes i do :)

LyzzyT

Post by LyzzyT » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:05 pm

Has anyone got the feed chart for the Allen and Page pot bellied pig feed to hand. I've decanted my food into dustbins and thrown the bags away. I've weighed Royston today and he weighs just under 8kg, Polly is quite a bit smaller at just over 6.5kg. They are 14 weeks old.

However they both look and feel a bit too solid/fat I think, I haven't measured their food, I just use a scoop and it is a guess based on what I was given when I picked them up - the breeder said what he'd given me would last 2 days.

They both have fruit and veg as well every day, usually with their pellets but also some hand fed as a treat. Thanks for any help.