Feeding Help please!

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Rachael D

Feeding Help please!

Post by Rachael D » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi I have 2 kunekune's who are now about a year old, can someone please give me advice on how much pot bellied pig food to feed them? I followed wendy's advice and gave them 1lb each a day for the first year. They have no grazing as they have rooted the entire area. I also give them fruit and veg as an extra and soaked sugar beet strands during the winter months. thanks rachael

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 pm

You need to try and set aside some land for regrowth, so you can alternate them with electric fence onto fresh pasture once the existing bit is exhausted. Strip grazing is really the only answer to a permanent mud bath.
Never test the depth of the water with both feet!

Rachael D

Post by Rachael D » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:12 pm

thanks pandora, in the meantime, any ideas on feeding quantities?

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:24 pm

All my adults get 2 pound of Allen & Page pot bellied pellets each (per day), fed morn & late afternoon, with plently of good grazing (2 acres, divided into 4 strips) and veges & fruit.
They are niether thin nor fat, and very sprightly. I hate seeing grossly fat pigs who can't even run! Mine come at a gallop as soon as they spy me.
Of course my pregnant and lactating sows get much more... 1 pound per piglet a day, plus mum's usual 2 pound. So my current mum of 8 gets approx. 10 pound over 3 meals.
Remember a pig will always be hungry, so don't be guided by fisty cuffs at the dinner table. And mine have rotavated their meadow too, but it soon recovers once you get them off and set it aside.

Rachael D

Post by Rachael D » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:50 pm

thanks pandora thats really helpful rachael

jenhix

Post by jenhix » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 am

With regards to dividing off the land to allow it to recover, does anyone have any suggestions other than electric fence, or it that the best option? I'm just about to divide the area my pigs are in, in half so literally just need to go straight across.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:50 am

When I first had my new precious squealers... the thought horrified me!! :shock: But trust me ~ they are so intelligent, one zap and they never touch it again, and completely respect it.
Now I have got my wellies stuck in the mud often enough to topple on the fence myself a few times (and I swear I saw the pigs sniggering and hooting with laughter :oops: ), and whilst it is a small sting of a 'shock' ~ it ain't gonna kill 'em :wink:
So easy to change around, and whereas they would charge through anything not built like fort knox if they want to... you can be sure they will stay put behind a flimsy electric rope!
You can get some good 'packs' on ebay, with the energiser and everything you need (except a 'car' type battery for it). I use 3ft green stakes, and green ROPE not tape, with two runs of rope at about 6" & 12" high, and it is not at all unsightly as they really seem to have the intelligence not to need high vis like horses etc. nor the height, so you can step over it easily (but don't get your wellies stuck in the mud! :roll: ).

jenhix

Post by jenhix » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 pm

Yep, I thought that might be the reply. I'm not too worried about them getting a little shock as like you said, they'll learn really quickly not to bother going near it again and being able to move it with little fuss is a huge bonus.

What's the deal with piglets and electric fence? I don't have any as yet, but am hoping to breed at the end of the year. I was wondering if there are any considerations I should make now?

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:14 pm

I find young piglets don't seem to have the same alarm threshold, so I remove the bottom run of rope, and they slip underneath 12" easy peasy without getting zapped... until they're big enough to learn!
As they will stay close to mum, they don't stray far, but you will need all the external boundaries next to roads etc. stock fenced for safety.
It's also a good measure to corner off a small triangle with a 12" high rope to feed them once they are weaning, to keep greedy sows out. I've seen the most loving of mothers biff their babies in the air (manners of a pig! :lol: )

jenhix

Post by jenhix » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:01 pm

Yep, the whole area is fenced off already so the electric fence will act as a divider more than anything to keep my two gilts off the recovering piece of land, I'm hoping we have some decent weather and the grass comes through nice and quick!!

I absolutely can't wait until I have a litter, but at the same time, I'm glad I have lots of time to prepare.

jenhix

Post by jenhix » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:30 am

Any reason why you use rope and not tape? Found a pack on ebay that seems to have everything I'd need but it's using green tape, is this no good?

The item is here.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-FENCING- ... 483f523f3e will that be suitable for pigs? I can upgrade to the rope if I want to.

Pandora

Post by Pandora » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:15 am

Hi Jenhix... we seem to have hijacked Rachael D's posting, sorry :oops: ... I was just responding to Q's! Mods may wish to start another post about fencing with this?
Paddock Perfection are highly recommended, I have used them a lot myself and they are very helpful. Send them a message asking for 3ft stakes and rope not tape, they'll adjust the pack price for you.
The rope is much more hardwearing for pigs and moving about, and easier to handle without a tangle.

jenhix

Post by jenhix » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 am

Sorry Rachael, and mods!! I read a post and it sparks off lots of questions I have. I need to get into the habit of starting new topics. Thanks for all the help though.

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:58 pm

i use tape as they can see it so much more easily :)