silage

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
Rowlands

silage

Post by Rowlands » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:51 pm

Does anyone know whether pigs eat silage and whether its a good winter feed for them? Ours have already churned up the whole paddock, so with no more grazing to offer I'm looking at alternatives.
Sue

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:14 pm

i fed maize silage to my pigs one year as a local farmer had a load of it to clear after his cows were killed out durig foot and mouth. they loved it but got terribly fat on it so be careful!!

i would be very wary of big bale silay (ours was loose in a clamp) as it can harbour listeria which is fatal. I'm not an authority on it i'm afraid but i would tread carefully and only feed something you know is safe - test it on the sheep first!! :D

simon

Post by simon » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:44 pm

I've fed it mixed with a few nuts. Not for the whole winter, but they seemed to like it fine.
Silage bales do go off though, so make sure you can use that quantity (in under a week?).
If thats a problem hay or haylage is good as well.

Rowlands

Post by Rowlands » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks for the info- I'll use with caution.
Sue

pollymania

Post by pollymania » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Glad I have seen this, I was going to ask if they eat hay, mine have dug up their paddock too, I am reluctant to keep moving their electrified enclosure as they will just ruin that too no doubt. I have offered mine hay but they don't seem to think its food! I hope they will eat it during the winter but what is the best way of feeding hay, thrown on the floor they just trample it, I have sheep hay racks, would they eat from one of these if I can adapt it to be lower? How do you all feed your hay?

simon

Post by simon » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:03 pm

pollymania wrote:How do you all feed your hay?
Some have racks, some just eat it off the floor. If they think they are going to get something better they will ignore the hey though. Just leave it with them. As long as its nice hay they will get the idea.

at2aw97

Re: silage

Post by at2aw97 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:45 am

Mine have all rooted up their paddocks, so they are getting hay. they seem to be eating it quite well, they also like playing and nesting in it. my 3 sows, boar and 8 little piglets all eat hay without problems