Handrearing - How much and what?

General discussion on feeding, quantity, types, etc.
sarah-geoff

Post by sarah-geoff » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:53 pm

Update - so far, not sure if its so good or not:

She has made it to a week old, but her brothers and sisters are now a full twice her size! She went back in with the litter happily enough but we've been watching pretty closely and nobody has actually seen her latched on and getting milk - she gets right in there but doesn't seem able to latch on. We are giving her bottle feeds several times a day - and last thing at night, but I'm worried that we are just giving her enough to keep her going ... does anyone have an idea of how much baby milk a 1 week old piglet needs and how long between feeds?

My daughter has brought her in again tonight so she can feed her in the night and first thing in the morning . I am hoping that she will get over some milestone soon and start actually growing... what are the chances????

The others are various sizes - but all up and running about in the sun like good uns, I hope we can pull Strawberry through too :?

Dan

Post by Dan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:09 pm

My runt is now 2 and a half weeks old and she is well under half their size. She feeds 3-4 times a day but never takes much at all.

She is always the first to the teat and last off too. Had the vet round who said that the teat in question isnt producing as much mils as the others and that as she is the runt she cant get enough out.

Im persiting with mine but I really dont know if she will make it or not

Fingers crossed!

wendy scu

Post by wendy scu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:49 pm

well, two and a half weeks is a good start, every day she lives is a bonus and she must surely get stronger. i usually weigh them too as its heartening to see the scales go up :)

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:09 pm

A runt piglet will start eating pig nuts as well as the milk from two weeks old.That should help put the weight on.Don't worry about size difference with siblings,the runt will catch up and reach a reasonable size.